2010 Kia Soul

Discussion in 'Kia' started by GreenVTEC, Jan 7, 2009.

1. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Anyone hear anything about this upcoming North American Offering?

[​IMG]

It's a subcompact targeted at the Fit/xB/Cube. Plenty of space and enough edgy style to appeal to younger buyers. Motor Trend tested the bigger engine gas model (2.0L). Current info has it will be offered in a price range from $15,000 - $19,000, come well loaded with standard A/C, radio, CD, MPS, USB ports, power, and easily modifiable rear storage space.

Two reported engine offerings: 122-hp 1.6L and a 142-hp 2.0L (The bigger to come first and expected to be the most popular by 70% of sales)

Fuel Economy estimates (MT):

28/31 - 2.0L
    31/36 - 1.6L

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
  2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

http://www.kiasoul.com has the usual flashy images (and wretched bandwidth-hogging Flash format) and some of the colors/options information.
    I think the Soul is a Rio with a box-body, just as the Scion xB was an Echo rebodied with a box. If the weight is close to that of the Rio/Accent, the FE should be about the same around town, and if they can optimize the box shape for a decent drag coefficient, the highway mileage shouldn't be much lower.

3. Maxx

Maxx He who posts articles

That's what I've heard. From what I understand, it should be here this spring. To bad I think it's supposed to replace the Rio... the only Kia I would have considered (don't much like boxy kid cars).

4. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Where did the 31/36 FE estimate come from? If that's what it ends up being, consider me very impressed. I'm expecting numbers more like the Rio, which is at 27/33 for the 5mt 1.6. The pic at the beginning of the thread, if anyone is wondering, is the concept version, but plenty of production pics are out there.

Maxx, to each their own! But when I went to the local Toyota/Scion dealer 3 years ago with no intention of leaving with a box; but sitting in it I realized the roominess, visibility, 30+ mpg and overall utility were too good to pass up, despite the annoyingly hip/urban/youthful marketing Scion uses. As a one-car household, I needed something that could regularly haul camping gear, bikes, furniture, etc.... Besides, you see the interior of the car much more than the exterior...

Anyway, Soul is interesting though I'm still a satisfied xB driver, no problems in 3 years and just under 30k miles, with multiple 40mpg tanks on relatively mild hypermiling. Would certainly take the Soul over the new xB for price and mpg.

5. Lugnuts001

Lugnuts001 Well-Known Member

I saw it at the Orlando Auto Show in November 2008. I like it because it's kind of cool looking and is more in line with what Toyota should've down with the xB, making it MORE fuel efficient instead of less. I only took a very quick glimpse of the inside, but from what I could tell, there wasn't any special cargo features - the rear seat back just folds forward. Something like the magic seats in the Fit would be nice. Here are a couple photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

My fiance will be getting one of these :D

7. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

I'm seriously considering one as a replacement for my Chevy Astro van. The Soul and the Nissan Cube look like the successors to the 1G Scion xB. It doesn't look like the Cube has a flat floor, or rear seats that fold out of the way, seriously compromising its utility.

8. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

I just saw one and it looks good! Hal:D

9. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

I stopped by my local Kia dealership, and they had one in stock. It was a diesel model, a demo model they can't sell, despite it being left hand drive. They had it set up inside a showroom, so it couldn't be driven. The battery was dead, and the rear lift door couldn't be opened. There's no place to put a key in the rear door, and no mechanical release

The interior of the Soul was very nicely done. My wife liked it, too.

10. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I often manually open hatches when people let the batteries die on display models.

11. vtec-e

vtec-e Celtic MPG Warrior

There are a few of them driving around here. Interestingly, perhaps unsurprisingly, it is only sold as a 1.6 diesel in Ireland. It's a nice car for sure!

ollie