Chrysler’s news... too disgusting to place on the home page

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by xcel, Jan 7, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___This one makes me fume :mad:

All-new HEMI® with Fuel-Saving MDS Technology Earns Ward’s 2009 "10 Best Engines" Award

Refined 5.7-liter HEMI Delivers Improved Fuel Economy, Even More Power and Torque
    • All-new 5.7-liter HEMI® engine recognized by Ward’s for powertrain excellence
    • Sixth “10 Best Engine Award” for 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine
    • Expanded utilization of Chrysler’s fuel-saving Multi-displacement System (MDS) operation
    • More power: as much as 390 horsepower
    • More torque: as much as 410 lb.-ft. of torque

Auburn Hills, MI - Now in its second generation, the legendary 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engine once again has earned a place on Ward’s distinguished “2009 10 Best Engines” list. Relentlessly delivering powertrain excellence, Chrysler LLC has earned Ward’s "10 Best" award six times in the last seven years with the iconic 5.7-liter HEMI engine.

"The HEMI earns the honor not on pure emotion or brute force but with advanced new technology such as variable valve timing, which allows cruising in four-cylinder mode about 40 percent of the time, which is twice as much as the previous-generation Multi-Displacement System cylinder-deactivation system," said Tom Murphy – Executive Director of Ward’s AutoWorld magazine. "

A number of Ward’s testers managed to top 19 mpg (12.3 L/100 km) with the HEMI, putting it in line with certain premium V-6s tested.

___Great to see the tech but a whopping 19 mpg? Why not just toss out 5-gallon cans with 3-gallons of gasoline in them every 100 miles while driving a Prius, Yaris, Corolla, Civic, Fit, HCH-II or Mini instead?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Re: Chrysler’s news... to disgusting to place on the home page

I can understand awarding "powertrain excellence" based on the application of the various technologies, but it should come with an additional "powertrain irrelevance" award that is twice as large so it stands out in Mopar's trophy shelf.

This award may be similar to the awards won by Studebaker's supercharged 289 V8, three model years before the doors closed.

If Chrysler survives, they have their Phoenix V6 engine program waiting in the wings. These can be good engines to inherit this technology if they are used for trucks and minivans rather than four passenger sport coupes. But something tells me that they will want to continue to "Grab Life by the Horns" and offer a 300hp Phoenix V6 in a compact car. :(

3. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

I can understand that 19 mpg is nothing to write home about. But for people that really need these trucks for their work and for hauling 19-21 mpg sure beats 14-15 mpg and saves gas for all!

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

As long as they're in bigger vehicles that NEED them. It has been going around that the weight issue is due to gov't safety regulations. Anyone believe that BS? Toyota IQ.

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

My guess is Chrysler is putting out stuff they had planned 4-5 years ago, but I hope their greener projects are in overdrive (assuming they are around to put them in the showroom)

6. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Scale the Hemi down to 2 or 3 cylinders, and I'd suddenly find it relevant.

7. MaxxMPG

One of the darker spots in Pontiac history occurred in 1961-1963 when they developed a 4 cylinder engine for their new compact Tempest model by chopping their 389 V8 in half and installing only the passenger-side bank of cylinders. The resulting "Indy 4" engine, at 194.5 cubic inches, shook so bad that it almost rattled the car apart. And it didn't weigh much less than the V8 it was derived from. And it didn't help that this vibrating boat anchor was rigidly mounted via a torque tube to a modified Corvair transaxle at the rear axle. The entire assembly, about 12 feet from end to end, was suspended on mushy rubber mounts at either end. Oscillating and shuddering within the car body, the powertrain made more noise than power, at 110 gross hp.

While I know that "scale it down to 2 or 3 cylinders" was not meant literally, reading it made me chuckle with a "been there, done that" moment. It made me remember the dreaded Tempest and it's "half a V8" engine - a car that was credited as "the worst handling, worst all-around riding car ever offered to the American public".

8. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

But they "need" that power, how else are the dodge rams going to pass me after riding my bumper for an hour. I especially enjoy how you can almost smell the gas fumes as they roar by and then turn off at the nearest gas station.

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Funny you should mention that because typically I *can* smell raw gas from the ECU going open loop and dumping too much fuel in response to a planted right foot. :(

10. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

I just got a mental image of a mini with a 5.7L V8 hemi in it.

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Was the nameplate "Dodge Shadow II" ?

:p

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a magazine article I saw where a guy stuck a Cadillac Northstar V8 (4.6L, ~290 hp and torque) engine in his Pontiac Fiero.

It took a lot of work, cutting, new brakes, etc., but he fit that thing in there.

13. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I know of a local guy here who fit a Mustang V8 into a Miata. Apparently it was fast. :rolleyes::eek:

14. jkp1187

jkp1187 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the old '87 Turbo Buick Grand National: the car that could pass anything on the road...except a gas station.

:D

Classic car, tho'.

15. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Maxx, thanks for the history lesson. Didn't know that about the Tempest. Anyone should know that removing one bank of cylinders from a V-8 is going to be a vibrational nightmare. Going from 8 to 3 cylinders would be even worse! You're right that my scaling down comment referred more to implementing the same technology on a smaller scale, not just chopping down the engine -- although depending on the design it might be possible to make a V-twin out of the Hemi without a total redesign.

We just recently sold our Volvo diesel, which had the 6-cylinder version of the essentially same diesel engine that was offered with 4 cylinders in VWs and in Audi 4000s, and with 5 cylinders in Audi 5000s (and possibly something else oddball like Peugot diesels? Can't remember now).

16. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

chrysler can easily downscale the hemi, but that would be the equivalent of making the viper a V6. It would be killing off an icon. They are definitely in no position to preserve something when they're future as a whole isn't sure. THe cylinders hemispherical shape can easily be transferred to a 4 cylinder. It maybe the secret ingredient in the new phoenix V6's that chrysler will be offering in the future. Why they didn't do this earlier...no one knows.

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

Heck... They've done it before. I had an '88 Plymoth Reliant K station wagon with a 2.5 Hemi (25 combined EPA, but it had the "towing" options).

It got a lot of laughs with that Hemi badge sitting under that 2.5 badge.

18. MaxxMPG

HEMI = (H)ot (E)ngine, (M)anufacturer (I)nsolvent

The old 4 cylinder hemi-head engine had real promise but was introduced at a time when computer-controlled carburetors were a new idea and therefore not fully ironed-out. So they had driveability problems that people associated with the entire engine rather than just a bad carb design.

19. peacefrog_0521

peacefrog_0521 Raj Against The Machine

Unfortunately, I agree. That's roughly a 33% improvement. But it's mainly because it already based in the low end of the curve. Going from 15 to 19 mpg saves a helluva lot more than going from 20 to 30 mpg. :Banane22:

20. Where do they get these people to test drive? I managed better than 19 mpg nearly every time I turned the key in my Ram. And that truck didn't have any of Dodge's new "fuel efficient" offerings.