CleanMPG Member's Fuel Economy Run IV

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by lamebums, Dec 1, 2008.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Presenting the Winter series, running from December 1, 2008 until February 28, 2009.

* This contest is now closed. Final results to be found here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20084

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/scraping.jpg[/xfloat]Auston Hensley - CleanMPG - December 1, 2008

A driver struggles to scrape off ice, snow, and sleet from the windshield, an all too common sight especially in the northern states but not unheard of south of the Mason-Dixon line.

But the Hypermiling will go on. No matter what happens, FE will be pushed to the limit and records will be broken. I suggest Dwg if possible. :)

The CleanMPG Member's Economy Run was conceived between lamebums and Daox back in February of 2008, whereupon we'd take our cars and push the mileage to the max over a three month period, originally conceived as the "God of Small Toyotas" Economy Run. The rules were crude and simple: beat the EPA estimates for our cars, and beat it by as much as possible. The first event was a great success for everyone involved and quickly expanded to include large numbers of CleanMPG members into what we know today.

With the continuing success of these economy runs I'd like to open a thread for another one. This one will officially begin on December 1 as the previous economy run wraps up and victors are declared.

You can view any of the previous economy runs here.

I: February 1 - May 30, 2008. Winner: PaleMelanesian
    II: June 1 - August 30, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), lamebums (B)
    III: September 1 - November 30, 2008. Winners: CobraPond (A), MT bucket (B), jps000 (C)

In division A, CobraPond is our two-time defending champion with a previous run of 262.81% of the EPA. :flag:

In division B, MT bucket is our new champion with a previous run of 194.99%.

In division C, jps000 is our defending champion with a previous run of 153.37%.

How to Join
    Anyone who's interested in participating in the December to February economy run, all you have to do is the following:
    1. Post here in this thread to let me or the other moderators know you're going to be in. Or you can PM me (lamebums).
    2. Create a new mileage log. This will be an alter-ego of your vehicle, except make sure you use the 2008 EPA ratings for your car found at www.fueleconomy.gov.
    2a. Also provide us with a picture of your car.
    2b. If you have already given a picture then don't worry about it, we have it.
    3. When the logs are created, make sure the link to your mileage log gets to us so we can post it on the standings.
    4. Then this becomes like any other daily grind thread. Be sure to check back regularly for updates. :)

Handicaps
    To avoid needing a 2008 or newer handicap we all use the new EPA estimates for fuel economy.

Hybrid vehicles get a 25% bonus due to many non-hybrids being rated for FE while not considering Fas and other techniques (in effect, a hybrid without the autostop).

The winners of each division will be forever immortalized in CleanMPG history. :)

Which Division?
    This was created to help divide people into three levels, in order to increase competitiveness.

For Returning Members:
    If you placed well in the A division for the summer run I recommend staying there.
    If you did not place well in A or placed well in B I recommend the new B division.
    If you did not place well in B, I recommend the new C division.

For New Members:
    If are are new to hypermiling then I recommend either the B or C divisions to allow a good chance to get on your feet and familiarize yourself with hypermiling.

I recommend the C division under these circumstances:
    If your mpg in a 2007 or older regular car is under 125%
    If your mpg in a 2007 or older hybrid car is under 100%
    If your mpg in a 2008 or newer regular car is under 150%
    If your mpg in a 2008 or newer hybrid car is under 125%

I recommend the B division under these circumstances:
    If your mpg in a 2007 or older regular car is under 150%
    If your mpg in a 2007 or older hybrid car is under 125%
    If your mpg in a 2008 or newer regular car is under 175%
    If your mpg in a 2008 or newer hybrid is under 150%

Any higher and you need to be up there in the rockstar (A) division :)

Please Remember to provide us with a picture of your car..

Official Standings
    Division A
    Column1Column2Column3
    Driver Vehicle Hybrid +25% bonus
    lnmcmahan [​IMG]
    PaleMelanesian [​IMG]
    CobraPond [​IMG]
    Aether Glider [​IMG]
    Right Lane Cruiser [​IMG] * 167.33%
    diamondlarry [​IMG] * 154.19%

Division B
    Column1Column2Column3
    GaryG [​IMG] 183.84%
    jstol3 [​IMG]
    froggman [​IMG]
    Jess [​IMG] * 169.6%
    Waynetc [​IMG] * 157.36%
    Kacey Green [​IMG] * 155.54%
    Sulfuric [​IMG]
    voodoo22 [​IMG]
    Hybridized [​IMG] * 139.88%
    pdk [​IMG] * 134.02%
    Pierce [​IMG]
    JusBringIt [​IMG]

Division C
    Column1Column2Column3
    jhu [​IMG]
    josh2008 [​IMG] * 149.41%
    YarSwiss [​IMG]
    psyshack [​IMG]
    TomMig [​IMG]
    moneysaver [​IMG]
    scramblejim [​IMG]
    jdhog [​IMG]
    Mr. Pancake [​IMG]
    Yarisman [​IMG]
    drimportracing [​IMG]

* This contest is now closed. Final results to be found here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20084

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

3. lamebums

lamebums Member

I'll do the first post: I'll re-enter in Div. B and try to reclaim my title. :)

4. jdhog

jdhog Hyper Smiler

Hi, I think I'd like to enter in Div C. I have a question about the EPA. My car is a 2009 with the published EPA 26/32 So should I still use the 2008 EPA which is the older generation matrix and has a different EPA? If I do then because the older gen has a higher EPA it means I will get less % over EPA than actual and therefore less chance of getting a medal/cookie?

Also your link to the III run results links back to the homepage. <--edit: I guess that is intentional until it's finished

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Oh K, seems like I will have to re-enter in div. B. I will not be entering my current car, so once the intro has been made, I will create a mileage log for you to use. This should help me somewhat.

6. lamebums

lamebums Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear: no matter what year the car is, we use the new EPA estimates. It's so we all have a baseline to work with and sooner or later we'll have to convert all the mileage logs (regular ones, too) to new EPA as well.

That and the results thread is still a work in progress so yes, intentionally linked to the home page :)

7. Hybridized

Hybridized Bolt'in

Sign me up for Division B.

8. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Sign me up for division 'C' please.

9. jdhog

jdhog Hyper Smiler

10. pdk

pdk Beacon of Sanity

Will there be a handicap for people living in the colder areas?

11. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Good question...

12. lamebums

lamebums Member

It would probably be the fairest idea but would be extremely difficult to implement. Where to draw the line and by how much. Some of us have Ebh which reduces the effect of cold, others don't. Before long everyone with even the slightest competitive disadvantage will want a handicap, and it'll turn into an unworkable nightmare. I'm just going to keep it as simple as possible, therefore.

I have cold weather here too, you know... it's snowing as I type :rolleyes:

13. pdk

pdk Beacon of Sanity

Fair enough. We aren't competing for actual hardware so it's not a huge deal if there isn't a handicap. Weather is probably the most disparate factor at play this time of year and most widely variable by region, so if anything deserves a handicap, it's that. One possible suggestion for implementation, you could just go by average temperature reported in the tank logs (though that does require an extra level of honesty by the reporter) and assign a handicap every N degrees below threshold X. This is merely a suggestion, and I do appreciate how this could quickly become unworkable.

Again, this is your brainchild, so you have the authority to shape it how you will, as long as you are willing to listen to us lowly peons who aren't organizing these events. :D

It's snowy and mid-20s here right now. I like this weather, I just don't like the mileage that comes with it. It's not so bad right now, but the sub-0-F temps that are sure to be here in January and February will have me cursing my MFD.

14. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Peter, that's a nice idea but I'm one of the lazy guys who never enters the tank temperature. :eek:

Yeah, I'm not enjoying the return to lower than freezing temps either. :(

15. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

16. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I'm in for the A division. I'll talk to my son but I imagine he'll be in again as well. His next tank is not going to be pretty since we are well into the cool weather in northern IN.

Quick question: Should we delete the vehicle for the last run yet?

17. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Hi Auston, Sign me up for Division C, just like the fall run. This is going to be a cut throat run because the colder temps would have me take out every possible trick out of the bag to hit the kind of numbers I was able to get during the last run. It just snowed in Chicago area last night. I have about 4" in my neighborhood.:mad:

You have my car's pic so lets just use that one. I will make altered entry in the mileage log when I enter my tanks. Thanks.

18. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Whooo hooo! another FE challenge! I'm in!:D Subzero temps, i c e , snow, no scangauge, but I have the little car that can! :)

19. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Division D, E or F

[​IMG]

Here she is topless: [​IMG]

20. YarSwiss

YarSwiss C'est quoi 'hypermile' en Francais?