The fifth most fuel efficient automobile in the US is?

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by xcel, Sep 24, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Go-kart-driving fun and an interior that provides the maximum amount of car in the minimum amount of space.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_Mini_Cooper_Convertible.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Sept. 24, 2008

Introducing the 2009 MINI Cooper – Starting at just $19,200 including destination with a 28/37 mpgUS EPA rating.

With 2008 Mini sales up greater than 32 percent year to date, the Mini Cooper is not only a popular fuel miser but offers a fun to drive experience not available in possibly anything else.

Performance plays a major role in this fun factor. With the Mini Coopers naturally-aspirated 1.6L four-cylinder engine including variable valve control, 0 to 60 mph disappears in just 8.5 seconds.

The EPAS Electrical Power-Assisted Steering helps make the MINI even more nimble and agile on the road, as speed-related assistance ensuring low steering forces when parking and precise control at high speeds.

Safety

In a recent NHTSA tests, the MINI excelled in all aspects with four- and five-star ratings.

Benefiting from its strong and stable body structure, the MINI offers a standard of crash safety unique in its segment. In the event of a collision, optimized load paths within the body structure serve to effectively divert forces acting on the car, despite the short overhangs front and rear.

The MINI comes with a wide range of safety equipment, including six standard airbags to enhance occupant safety. New for 2009, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is standard on all models and offered for the first time on a MINI product is Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) coming in late 2008. DTC also includes a new EDLC (Electronic Differential Lock) function that controls wheel spin on the drive wheels during acceleration by using front brake force to manage the speed and torque differential between the wheels.

Active safety is enhanced in critical driving situations by the standard anti-lock brakes (ABS), Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD), Cornering Brake Control (CBC).

Brake Assist (BA) is also standard. BA detects emergency operation of the brakes and builds up maximum brake pressure very quickly. Hill Assist start-off assistance, in conjunction with DSC, maintains brake pressure for up to 3 seconds after the brake pedal has been released and before the clutch has been engaged, to prevent the car from rolling back when setting off on an uphill gradient.

Fuel Economy

And the real reason to consider a Mini Cooper. The standard Mini returns excellent fuel economy with preliminary EPA 2009 estimates of 28/37 City/Highway for a combined rating of 32 mpg. Consider its peers for the US’ top fuel miser spot includes the mighty Prius-II at 46 mpgUS, the HCH-II at 42 mpgUS, the Smart Fortwo at 36 mpgUS, Jetta TDI at 34 mpgUS and the Yaris at 32 mpgUS. None of the fuel misers listed has quite the same “fun to drive” quotient which makes the Mini a formidable choice.

2. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

I'm ready to see the new tdi rabbit, it should handle pretty well, and get even better fuel economy than the jetta.

3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

I hate to say this but don't hold your breath. In the past, the Golf and Jetta TDI's were rated the same. They both weigh about the same and have similar aerodynamics. If you are talking about the Golf VI, then maybe that wish will come true. Apparently there is a 105hp 1.6 TDI in the works for the MkVI but I doubt we will ever get it over here :(

4. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

Yeah, that was the car I was looking at.

5. flatty

flatty Member

I'd like to see the Cooper D model available in the UK. It gets 53mpg(US).

6. w4wfm

w4wfm Well-Known Member

I would like to see a range extended electric version. Or at least a PHEV.

Frank

7. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

The thing about this car, is it's a total blast to drive.

Expensive to maintain and more expensive than a Yaris or Fit, but it's a premium vehicle and it delivers.

I've had the pleasure of owning and driving many, many vehicles and the Mini is hands down the most fun I've had driving a vehicle.

8. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

I've thought about the mini just because I miss my old MGB convertible. Those little things are TONS of fun to drive. Plus you get everyone's attention at the stoplight - until an American car wants to race you.

Now that I'm hypermiling, I doubt I'd be racing it, but I wonder if the torque is any good on 'em? I've found that to be an important part of Dwl.

9. noflash

noflash Senior Member

Does it require premium fuel?

nf

10. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

Daughter bought one. It is a wonderful BLAST to drive, and gets excellent FE. Unfortunately it does require premium gas, and that has been one of my gripes with the car, but given the Mini market, that is perhaps acceptable to many.

We recently made a trip from Richmond to Warren, OH. My daughter thought we were behind the time 8 ball so she insisted on driving around 70 MPH. We got just a hairs breath below 40 MPG.

I think the Mini is a very positive step for those who want much better FE and still want sports car performance. I'd like to see the British version myself, and might spring for that one.