2007 Yaris Sedan Automatic current 50 US MPG tank streak

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by voodoo22, Sep 18, 2008.

1. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

I know it's bragging, but I also want people to see the proof of what this car and many other cars are capable of given the right conditions and if you maintain the disciplines outlined on this site.

My "techniques" are basic and more common sense than any sort of skill:

1) Maintain the car properly - oil changes etc
    2) Drive with as light of an accelerator foot as possible
    3) Keep tires inflated 50-52 psi (thinking about increasing this)
    4) Coast in N with engine on at highway speeds when possible - about 1-3 kms each way
    5) On the last half of this tank I have started FASing to my morning parking space
    6) NEVER exceed 90 km/h, but only accelerate to 80 km/h and maintain 90 km/h when I get the extra speed for free on a down slope
    7) Slow down to 80 km/h when going up hill
    8) Do not slow down below 80 km/h unless traffic conditions allow
    9) I will slow down slowly to 80 from 90 if I get 90 for free on a downslope, but I cannot pulse & glide in this car or pulse & coast because of the car and the heavy traffic
    10) Coast in D to use DFCO when approaching a light.
    11) Turn off the car at lights when I know I am going to be stopped for longer than 10 seconds
    12) Always coast in D to allow traffic to merge and keep as large a cushion between me and traffic in front so that I almost never have to use my brakes
    13) NEVER use the A/C or even the fan unless I have passengers. When it's really hot I change into shorts at work for the drive home
    14) Start driving immediately after ignition. Never idle.
    15) When coasting in N down a hill it seems beneficial to go back to D just before the bottom of the hill and not at the end of the current hill and beginning of the next one
    16) RR in the right lane to let approaching traffic know I am not speeding or even going the speed limit
    17) Don't carry around extra stuff in the trunk
    18) People are always mad, even though this behaviour saves no gas it saves me a lot of stress. I avoid eye contact with any other driver. This reduces nearly to 0 the road ragers who want to pretend like they're going to fight a 6'4" German:).

Some factors against me:

1) E10 gas
    2) DRL are mandatory in Canada
    3) Winter is coming
    4) Don't have a scanguage

I think I covered most of what has allowed me to get 9 straight tanks of over 50 US MPG. I'm interested to see what I can maintain in the winter with winter tires.

I used to drive faster than now, but I always have driven more defensively than others. Thanks to seeing what people could get for FE using the techniques listed above and others, I was motivated to take my own discipline to another level. When I saw people getting near or over 50 in this car and read stories of other people on this site who also drove slow and didn't care if the road ragers didn't like it... that played a large role in taking me to where I am today. I don't know how much longer I can break the 50 MPG barrier with winter coming, but I had to let people know that you will be rewarded if you drive more disciplined. My totals over the past 9 tanks are:

That brings the summer total up to 9 straight 50 US MPG+ Tanks or

7763.91 kms using 348.823 litres 22.25km/l 4.49l/100km 52.3 US MPG

Most of my driving is my commute which is 52 kms each way, with 50 kms of very busy highway driving. It's a favourable commute, but I do have to go right into downtown Toronto (sometimes often) and on the past 3 tanks I have had to pick up my wife everyday after work. That's a short 1 km trip each way. I park in an underground parkade with a very steep grade exit which you can't build any momentum up to. So my driving is very favourable, but still not perfect.

Even beyond the joy of spending less money at the pump is that I can go 2 or 3 more days between making a trip to the gas station to fill.

I'm not doing anything complicated which can't be easily replicated given the right conditions. There's nothing magical or not real world about this driving style, it's simply a combination of conditions, car and driving discipline which EVERYONE can do and EVERYONE can improve on and many on this site already are.

2. mark2908

mark2908 Member

Nice going! 9 straight tanks at 50+. Bragging rights are yours.

Thanks for the great list.

Mark

3. voodoo22

Thanks, I hope it helps. It's all regurgitated info from this site, but it should give you an idea as to what is possible in your car in similar conditions.

4. voodoo22

made it to 10. Looks like it will be warm enough to have a chance for another, but I don't know how long this mileage will last once the cold weather kicks in.

With desperation kicking in to try and maintain the 50+ I started FAS ing to my parking space at work and have tried coasting in N as much as possible. I've got nothing left in the bag!

5. YarSwiss

YarSwiss C'est quoi 'hypermile' en Francais?

You know how I feel now, eh? After break 53 mpg, I am completely addicted, and I have to get more and more "aggressive" to break the 50 range continually. :p

6. voodoo22

We're sick in a good way;)

7. voodoo22

barely made 11 straight. Cold weather is a definite threat now.

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Amazing. I worked fairly hard for a 42 mpg tank in the Fit (Auto). I could see 50 under ideal conditions, but 11 straight tanks? Attaboy.

9. jdhog

jdhog Hyper Smiler

Do You mean Ridge Riding at the edge of the road so approaching traffic from behind can see and pass easily? Is that dangerous at all, ie get run off the road?

10. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Congratulations and just think - you are getting better mileage than many Prius owners.

11. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

Do you use a block heater? I've heard they pretty much come with every car in Canada, but just making sure. That'll reduce the big hit you take from the cold start warm up.

Congrats on 50+ btw! Very nice, especially for an automatic.

12. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

needless to say I'm impressed, I don't even have one 50 MPG tank

13. voodoo22

I don't find it dangerous as the shoulder is pretty big in most areas of my commute. I've never been close to getting run off the road since I started driving slower. I think it's because people see me coming up on the horizon, see that I am obviously going slower than them and they are able to pass me so easily.

I try to make it so that it would take too much effort for people to try and run me off the road:)

14. voodoo22

I don't use the block heater. We live in an apartment and we park underground. Then at work there's no place to plug-in. It doesn't get as cold in Toronto as Winnipeg (where I'm from). In Winnipeg they have posts with electrical outlets for people to plug in during the freeze your skin in less than a minute winters!

Thanks for all the kind word guys. With the colder weather and having to drive into the centre of Toronto every day so far on this tank, I'm already over 40 km's off the pace to safely make the 12th straight 50+ tank. It's going to take some fluke warm weather to allow me to claw back as I have to drive to the heart of downtown Toronto during peak time one more time on this tank. Those 4 commutes are really going to kill my MPG with the auto not giving much room to make anything up.

15. voodoo22

The streak is over. Too many factors to overcome on this last tank:

4 straight downtown Toronto commutes with traffic jams sometimes, going both directions
    Cold wet weather, even below 0

I couldn't make up the difference and got my worst tank since May.

Final numbers on the 50 US MPG streak

Started May 29th
    Ended October 7th
    Number of tanks: 11
    Distance traveled 9359.71 kms 5815.854 miles
    Gas used: 420.688 litres 109.37888 gallons
    Average FE per tank 4.496911669 l/100km 52.31720131 MPG
    Actual FE for the streak 4.494669172 l/100km 52.31889003 MPG

I'm going to have to put the winter tires on soon. It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers I can post in the winter. I have averaged 43.87 MPG in 2007 from July until December and I am currently averaging 46.63 MPG for this year. So far I've improved by 6% over last year, but I think that number will go up a little bit even with winter coming.

16. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

Sorry to hear the streak broke but you should do much better this winter over last! Whatever you were doing to break the 45 mpg barrier will continue to help. You’re still doing great at… 47 or 48 mpg for that tank. You’re still giving me a lofty goal to reach in mine!!!

17. voodoo22

your overall average is amazing. I wasn't as disciplined as you when I first got the Yaris. I feel the only thing I left to work on is being disciplined on long trips. I have a hard time justify FE over hours of time saved on a single long trip and those tanks have killed my overall average.

In my easy driving scenario, anything over 44 MPG is great and takes a lot of hard work. Since your driving situation is most likely more difficult than mine, you're posting awesome numbers already. Great job on that high average.

18. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

Congratulations. It is a wonderful record for an AT where fas 'ing is precluded. I have an Echo AT which I had thought to be just as good on FE, but I have considerable difficulty getting a 50 MPG tank, using essentially the same methods as you have used. Most of my tanks are worse than 50 MPG.

I think that there may be unexplored differences between the Yaris and Echo drive trains, though there are supposed to be the same. I noted from the gov FE economy site that the gov only shows about 1 MPG difference between the two cars, Yaris better, under similar conditions. But the recorded experiences of actual drivers showed the Yaris a full 5 MPH better in highway driving.

I'm left with a tentative conclusion that the Yaris is at least a 2-3 MPG better car than the Echo, under similar conditions. I can't honestly see why this might happen since the drive trains are supposed to be the same, and the Echo is a lighter car. Anyone have a theory or explanation, or perhaps disagree?

19. voodoo22

Hi Jimepting,

From everything I've seen the Echo is capable of higher numbers than the Yaris because of it being lighter, but it's not like it's a huge difference either way and I'm sure the difference in numbers mostly comes down to driving behaviour, car maintenance and driving conditions.

At the very least you have a great car which can get awesome mileage by todays standards and at the most you have a car which does better on gas than the newer version of it. Either way you win with your choice in a car.

If you take a look at the Clean MPG fuel efficiency run going on you'll see a MT Echo is near the top and an auto Echo is beating me now, but that AT Echo is only beating me because of the colder weather we have here now and the fact that I have no choice but to use e10 gasoline ;)

20. Hadi

Hadi Well-Known Member

You've done very well. 51.5 out of an automatic Yaris with E10 gas (the two factors I look at) is terrific, great work!