Did a College Intern do This?

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by Chuck, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

No, I think a freshman could do better.

This is not worth a news article here.

Only redeming thing I can say in this "hypermiling is totally illegal" rubbish is they did not mention the A3.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Chuck:

___I left my comment... Let us see if it gets posted.

Hi Ahsley:

Are you kidding me? Hypermilers are the safest and probably only legal drivers on the road within 20 miles of you each and every day. Learn the facts before you spread drivel as it does the world no good when you spread FUD and completely make up a story to grab attention.

What hypermilers can do for you is double your fuel economy and lessen your cost at the pump by half. See the sign at $3.60 per gallon sign you pass by everyday? It is now $1.80 per gallon and it is up to you to do it and not our government or your newspaper. It really up to you if you want to learn. Of you can keep your head in the sand and dish out a large portion of your paycheck out each and every week.

If the State Trooper you talked with would like to learn more, he can contact me at his earliest convenience as well.

PS: I do it to fight terrorism and in remembrance of the 2,900 plus innocent men, woman and children lost on 9/11. If you care, you would find a reason too.

Good Luck

Wayne Gerdes - Owner/Admin of www.CleanMPG.com

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

12 hours later neither Wayne or my comments are posted, but they put a long piece of spam in the comments . :rolleyes:

4. Showbizk

Showbizk Well-Known Member

I noticed that neither of your two comments were posted just now. I was about to add one myself, then I re-read the "article" and realized it's not worth the effort; it really isn't. A response would give the article more validity than it deserves. Ashley should stick to meteorology!

5. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I just looked at the spam website product. What a cheesy website and the Moment-O-Meter isn't much for $100.

6. fixedintime

fixedintime Well-Known Member

I had to post. Let's see if I have better luck - I also reported the spam, so let's see if that gets deleted.

This was my comment

"You should do your homework before you post items like this. Common practices of hypermilers are not failing to come to a complete stop at stop signs or stop lights, and drafting behind other vehicles. Those are the common practices of the aggressive drivers. Tailgating, which is what drafting is, running red lights and not stopping at stop signs was rampant on the highway of this county long before the term "hypermiling" came into existence.

As for gas saving ideas, I cannot figure out why you left out the common ones - perhaps because they are the real practices of the hypermiles. This includes things like don't speed - i.e, obey the speed limit, and don't accelerate rapidly.

If you want to make the roads safe and save gas at the same time these are the practices you need to be talking about."

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

"They " just posted my fairly mild comments ~ 20 minutes after I left them. If I had known they were going to post them, I would have looked up the correct spelling of verboten(isn't there an h in it). Oh well.

Charlie

8. Steve

Steve Member

Not to be too paranoid, but I bet if you look far enough up the ownership of that site, you'll find someone with the oil companies' interests at heart. (If they're not directly owned by big oil:D)

9. fixedintime

My comment is up as well - but the spam is still there.

10. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

Penn State has a large and quite excellent program in meteorology. I hope that this moment of silliness does not interfere with their recruiting of promising students.

DAS

11. YarSwiss

YarSwiss C'est quoi 'hypermile' en Francais?

To answer Delta's questions, yes, it does seem as if it was written by a college student, doesn't it? I don't remember seeing such stilted writing since being in an introductory English class. I know high school kids who could have written (and researched out) a better piece. But ah well, it's almost nothing more than an insignificant blurb in the news feed, so I really don't think it merits such attention.

12. drummerboy2004

drummerboy2004 Well-Known Member

I am college student, so that is not the whole issue. However, most of the students at my school earn "C" grades (not me). University of South Florida is not a bad school, it just seems people are getting lazier by the day. This is probably the same person who passes me going 70 in a 55. The same person texting in class. The same person drinking when they should be studying. THis girl probably did not even read into the issue fully. She likely took the "consensus" perspective where she works, then the confirmation bias kicked in. AFter that, she is only able to see her side of the story, and refutes anything counter to her side of the argument. Oh, and in journalism, seeing both sides of the issue before making an assumption is considered common practice for a good journalist. I guess you can infer where this leaves her.

P.S. Ashley... try not to flip your SUV when you are doing 90 MPH, talking, texting, and trying to put on makeup. Actually... I wish you would, but not to hurt you, only your car.

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

For thoses that responded - thank you. :)

Maybe it was the reference to CleanMPG that kept Wayne's and my remarks from being posted, yet that spammer's page-long rubbish was there for nearly a day? :rolleyes:

It seems like the rest of the staff is on par with the reporter of that story.

14. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I just clicked the video button and watched the recording. It is even more irritating than the article. Here is what I just submitted as well as my contact information including phone number.

Little or no relief at the pump? You have NOT talked to a "true" Hypermiler. At the website owned by the man who coined the term "Hypermiling", safety is advocated. Drafting is abhorred. I guess I might say that I GET drafted daily. I drive 50 to 55 mph and get tailgated until they pass me. The subject is posted often by people that see grossly misinformed news articles such as yours. I would like to invite you to a true hypermiling clinic. You are about 360 miles from me and it would cost me a little less than $20 to make the drive in our Honda Civic Hybrid or Toyota Prius.

One final question to ask: "How many people have been killed as a result of Hypermiling versus the number of deaths related to speeding in 2008 to date?"

15. Showbizk

Showbizk Well-Known Member

Your comments are all posted. Nice work, guys. FYI, I used the link to her name and sent the following email just now...

Hi, Ashley,

I read your article, and the accompanying comments. If you have also reviewed them, you will see you have made several factual mistakes regarding “true” hypermiling. I was just wondering if you had any thoughts of following up and answering any of the opposition points in the near future. I believe your readers deserve that.
    ...Bob​

I just watched the video--don't waste your time! It's worse than the story! (Is this a college-run or even a high school- run TV station?)

16. fixedintime

I did some looking around the web after Tochatihu's Penn State Comment. Turns out the writer is a 2008 graduate of the meteorology department there at Penn State. It looks like she may have only been working at the station since early August since that is the date on the first article she wrote.

Now Penn State has one good meteorology program - perhaps the best in the country, but how much training do they get there in being a reporter? I would doubt it is very much. So perhaps the problem is with the station and expecting the new grad to do work for which she has no training.

17. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

The comments are finally up - along with the ignorant ones from gearheads and trollers.

18. gershon

gershon Well-Known Member

I feel kind of sorry for the author. She has a weather degree and gets to write a car article in a small town newspaper in Missouri. She probably had to write several other articles the same day. For all this, she probably makes a very low wage.

In this position, I might be tempted to take the "best" of AAA, call a state trooper and write an article.

To better put oneself in her position, they might try writing an article on sports motorcycles and see what kind of reaction they get on a forum for these bikes.

19. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

While I feel a bit for the reporter just out of college, there has to be a better way.

20. fixedintime

I feel for her as well. Here is link to what she has written. It looks like she had three new ones posed that day. She has average about one a day over the last six weeks, but they come in groups. It really looks like they are using her as a reporter rather than using her meteorology degree. Only two of the pieces touch on weather news.