Your Commute Profile?

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by brother, Sep 6, 2008.

1. brother

brother Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see how other people's commutes look, just to get an idea of what you're up against. I've spoken (OK whined? :rolleyes:) a lot about my terrain, but I'm sure some of you have it much worse than I do.
    Here's mine.
    Thanks,
    -jon

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. lamebums

lamebums Member

3. brother

Re: Your Connute Profile?

Two meanders of the same river? Not to mention that steep spike near the middle! Wow!
    That's gnarly! :eek:
    And now I am inspired to do better. :)

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Mine's in here, along with a description more detailed than you'd likely ever want to read.

5. robmtdew

robmtdew Active Member

Here's mine. I was pretty depressed to see the elevation change in the first 8 miles from a cold start. [​IMG] The graph shows my commute from home to work.

[​IMG]

The last 8 miles of the return commute makes for a great glide. [​IMG]

Rob

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Mine looks a little tame in comparison to those huge swings in elevation, but here you go:

[​IMG]

7. robmtdew

robmtdew Active Member

Sean. If I remember correctly, don't you have a large number of stops to deal with over your commute? I have one stop sign and 8 lights. If I am doing good, I only have to stop for the stop sign. I am not sure which would be worse, the elevation change or lots of stops.

Rob

8. lamebums

lamebums Member

There's gaping holes in my hypermiling technique.

The number one problem is the six traffic lights I face in the morning. I usually hit at least three or four of them. There's one that's almost unavoidable (95% of the time it's red and you only see it as you round a corner just 5 seconds away).

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Hi, Rob! Yes, you remembered correctly -- 5 stop signs, 1 school crossing, 3 railroad crossings, and 33 stop lights.

10. regor

regor Active Member

No need for a fancy graph-

I live in Poway, California, which is about 500' above sea level. I drive up to the Julian area, about 4200' elevation, every day for work. My average MPG going uphill in my 08 Honda Civic is normally right around 30-32, but more overall average for the round trip commute is normally between 40 and 42mpg.

I'm curious which program did you all use for your graph? Did you route the "route" feature on your GPS then d/l into another program for teh graphs?

11. robmtdew

robmtdew Active Member

Regor, I used the following:

http://www.toporoute.com/cgi-bin/bicycle.cgi

I zoomed into my starting point, clicked on the location to add the point. Clicked on the map and moved the map to near my end point and then clicked on my end point. I then went to the "action" drop-down menu and chose plot elevation.

Rob

12. brother

A lot less tedious than the way I did mine. I used an old version of Maptech Terrain Navigator and traced my route out one line segment at a time. :eek:

The toporoute routine you cite is so quick I can trace out all my alternate routes without any trouble. Great tool! :)

13. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

From Home to work
    [​IMG]

2 Stop signs, 16 lights, 1 rail crossing, 1 u-turn. .5 miles 25mph speed limit, 2 miles 40mph speed limit, 7.5 miles 45mph speed limit.

This is about the flattest route I could find around here, not too bad. It has way too many lights. I am envious of those with highway routes.
    :driveby1:

14. brother

Re: Your Connute Profile?

RE: That sharp spike at ~mile 5.5. Obviously noise, as it represents a ~35% grade.
    I've been analyzing my commute using toporoute.com and I see one of those. :(

15. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Here's my new route.
    [​IMG]

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Hm... that's going to hurt on the way home!

Mine's the other way around with more downhill in the afternoon.

17. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

It's the same as my old commute, only the old one had a 2-mile climb back up to 400 at the end. So far, with 3 days at the new location, my best drives are 71 to work and 66 home.

18. lamebums

lamebums Member

[​IMG]

This is the afternoon commute. 471 North via Cincinnati to 71/75 south.

I don't take 275 West in the afternoon because I'd have to go from near zero to highway speed on a 10% ramp with a line of pissed off students in their cars behind me. That causes some butt-ugly numbers.

Oh, and the number of potholes on that side of the road, too.

19. Here is mine.
    [​IMG]

20. Showbizk

Showbizk Well-Known Member

That is a pretty cool site, and trick. I had all kinds of problems though making it "map" the exact route I take. I had to force certain points on the route because it kept routing me a longer way. Anyone know what its criteria are? Also, when I try to insert the image of my plot, I get an entirely different image from the address that appears. :confused: :confused:WTH??? HELP!!