KIA Borrego anyone?

Discussion in 'Kia' started by PookieSoup, Aug 24, 2008.

1. PookieSoup

PookieSoup Well-Known Member

At the Austin Hot Sauce Festival today, KIA was there showing off their 2009 Borrego. They had 5 pre-production models out, and they were rewarding people with a $20 gift card to Amazon.com for going on a test drive. Since when do I turn down free money?

Needless to say, when I started busting out with technical questions, all the reps were like "Um...... er...... duh..... I did the EPA testing myself." I'm not sure who was more confused, him or myself. I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone.

The epa rating was 15/22. Ack! I almost screamed and ran away at those numbers. Anyways, it seemed like the reps didn't care about fuel efficiency. They kept pushing the price of the car (starting 27,000, I wouldn't buy a car new anyways with the dogs), and all the luxury items (warm leather seats, satellite radio, etc..). One rep kept saying that customers were trading in their brand new Lexuses for a KIA Borrego. I honestly did not think the KIA was that nice. They must have been fooling themselves.

When it seems like all the other car companies are pushing better FE vehicles, KIA was pushing power and luxury. What was most annoying was the lack of knowledge of the reps. they kept saying that they were "marketing, not sales." How do you market a car you don't understand? I left with a worse opinion of KIA than I had before.

2. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised. I've seen those test drives at a few conventions here in Las Vegas most of the people hired are usually hired through job agencies and really have no knowledge of the product they're supposed to be pushing.

I think the only Kia worth looking at would be the Kia Forte if you had to choose one from that line up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/21/tons-of-kia-forte-pics-hit-the-web/

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/15/kia-forte-details-hit-the-web-bigger-more-frugal/

[​IMG]

Takes a lot of design cues from the 8th gen civic, but the mpg is a bit lower.

3. B.L.E.

B.L.E. Well-Known Member

Borrego? What a perfect name for a car marketed to sheeple.

4. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Precisely! For those who aren't in the know, "Borrego" is "Lamb" in Spanish.

5. PookieSoup

I'm sticking with my Hondas. I <3 Hondas.

6. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

I had work.

7. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

The Koreans are just trying to move up-market with the japanese, albeit 15 or 20 years late. Take a look at the Hyundai Genesis for another example. Choice of V6 or V8 in a large sedan, anyone? No takers?

8. lamebums

lamebums Member

I'll stick with Toyota. :)

I saw a Kia Rio get T-boned by a Honda Odyssey once < 20 MPH. Not pretty.

Within 15 minutes there were three cop cars, three ambulances, two fire trucks, and an EMS vehicle on the scene.

9. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

...aw great, thanks :(

I can already see myself being insanely careful at intersections now.

10. PookieSoup

I always check right and left before I go through an intersection. Never too careful.

11. lamebums

lamebums Member

As far as I know it was the Rio driver's fault, he tried to cut it too close when making a left turn through an intersection, although the van driver had right of way (he didn't have a left arrow just a green light) he tried to blast through anyway and in trying to save ten seconds bought the entire farm.

I don't exactly relish the thought of getting turned into cat food by a speeding semi in my Echo either :(

12. YarSwiss

YarSwiss C'est quoi 'hypermile' en Francais?

How do you pronounce it? I always thought it was "Bore-Ego" :p

13. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

It would be said as "baw-RAY-go", although the mpg will have the owner saying, "OH-my-god"

Kia also has two other models whose names translate to something meaningful in Spanish -
    Rio = River
    Rondo = I get around

Then there are a few others that were named years ago, before the marketing research folks decided to check for alternate meanings in other languages.
    (Chevy) Nova - "It doesn't go"
    (AMC) Pacer - "To graze"
    (AMC) Matador - "Killer" or "Slayer"

When gas prices spike again, the automakers can try using some names that'd appeal to us:
    Costea ("It coasts")
    Sorbe ("It sips")

14. Barrudaki

Barrudaki Well-Known Member

I don't think getting t-boned in a KIA is any different than getting t-boned in any other compact car these days. At least the driver had side impact air bags, front air bags and how many other air bags KIA's have.

I think mine has six of 'em. I could probaly inflate all of them and float across the atlantic with 'em :p