Your "best" biking accident

Discussion in 'General' started by pdk, Aug 21, 2008.

1. pdk

pdk Beacon of Sanity

About 2 months ago, I went on a camping trip with some friends which involved ~30 miles of biking. As we got to the campground, the paths/roads were hilly and winding. As we got close to our campsite, there was one curve that I took just a little too fast. I lost control and bailed out onto (thankfully soft) ground and slid a ways. The bailout, I'm told, was fairly impressive. I went over the handlebars and spun around once in the air, and my bike went the opposite way about 20 feet.

I wasn't hurt, but there was a lot of mud on my clothes and the ground told a pretty nice story of what happened. I was lucky that all I suffered was a bruised ego. So, what were some of your best, though preferably innocuous, biking accidents and bailouts?

2. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Age...around 12. Going down a hill on my sister's bike (she had a 10 speed, I had a single speed dirt bike). At about 30mph, hit a rut and took a header. No one wore helments or other protective gear then, but I was lucky enough to tuck and roll so I didn't take any real damage. Worse part was after I slid to a stop, the bike, which was busy bouncing behind me, hit me in the stomache with the handle bars.

Ended up in the hospital overnight for observation due to a bruised appendix. The bike went to the shop to get unbent. Got my own 10 speed for Christmas...good year.

3. mparrish

mparrish Rosie the Riveter Redux

We have a famous hike-and-bike trail here in downtown Austin around the dammed up Colorado River. It's called Town Lake (Now LadyBird Lake).

Now, while you CAN bike, it's recommended that you either go slow or not at all. It's primarily for walkers & runners.

So I'm on a lunchtime bike run, and we cut through Town Lake. I'm usually cautious here, but there is for some odd reason a complete lack of runners. So I start to take off.

Big mistake. I round a corner, see a group, swerve, hit my suicide brake to avoid a huge tree, and fly over and onto the pavement. BOTH ELBOWS BROKEN on impact. 2 weeks before I could minimally function, 6 weeks recovery.

Let me tell you something............my wife deserves a medal for those two weeks if you know what I mean. :)

4. gfdengine204

gfdengine204 Well-Known Member

My "best" biking accident.....about 6 yrs ago, back when I was riding 100 miles or so per week. On my Trek, on the river trail, after some pretty heavy overnight rains.....the trail had dried up nicely. Too bad the wooden covered bridge hadn't followed suit.....

The bridge was on a curve. I hit the bridge, started my lean to turn left, and the front tire turned all the way to the stops. Bike and I went down, scraped up my side pretty good, and my right hand was sore. My riding partners and I took a break, I downed a goo-gel pack, drank some water, and on my way I went.

Fast forward 10 days. Right hand still hurting, I go to the doc. X-Rays showed a fracture on the bone in my hand that connects with the pinky. However, the PA says "We can't treat you here, you may even need surgery, go to the orthopedic clinic next door." Great.....having my hand ot of service from surgery makes being a 9-1-1 dispatcher rather difficult, since I have to type for a living.

I go to the ortho, he looks at the films, and the break was kinda odd. The bone was in two pieces; one was shaped like a spear, and one had a "v" where the point of the other bone fit in. Somehow, it was partially set, and he told me I would not need surgery. All I needed was a splint that had pads on the top and bottom of my hand to hold the bone in place. I asked if I could ride with it. He said if it was him, he would wait. Well, what does he know? LOL

I go riding that week with my g/f. I had pedal clips on my bike/shoes that I had just installed that week, and was still learning them. I come to a stoplight, "forgot" to clip-out of the right pedal, and start falling to the right side. Whoops..... ;)

Three weeks later, my hand is healed up. Still can't bring the pinky and thumb together to signal the number "3", they don't quite touch without a LOT of effort, and discomfort. But, I can still type my 110 or so words per minute, so I got that going for me...... :)

5. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

On my first bike ride as a child I went off the road, into the woods, and crashed into a tree. Ouch!

Years later while out training something happened. I'm not sure what because I was knocked out and lost my short-term memory. I think the chain (new) and gearset (old) did not agree on pitch, so the chain slipped on the gears while I was out of the saddle doing an acceleration. I broke my collarbone and got a concussion (old style leather helmets didn't do much). The big disappointment was that I got an ambulance ride, which I thought would be cool, but missed it because I lost consciousness again. Phooey!

Crashed several times in races. When you lose skin the healing process can be painful.

Most spectacular was a non-crash in a practice race. I happened to be at the front when one flange on my rear wheel hub exploded (new design given to me by the bike shop, cast rather than forged aluminum). The rim moved over, jammed in the frame, locked the wheel, and I went straight at the upcoming turn. Fortunately there was no traffic coming, and the rear tire wore down to the fabric but did not burst.

Forgot: once I "forgot" to release my toe clips and fell over right at Hollywood and Vine, the famous intersection in Hollywood, CA. We used to lean on cars at stop lights, usually at the back where they couldn't see us, only this time I missed. No injury, other than to my self-esteem.

6. A024523

A024523 Currently in Training

Back in high school, I forgot to replace the quick-release on my front wheel, and as I entered the parking lot at 15 MPH, the front forks came out and landed in the spokes. :eek: Result = instant stop, a face-plant grinding along 1 foot of asphalt with the rest of my body in the air. I woke up in a haze and for a few seconds didn't remember anything, not even who I was. But as a paramedic asked me questions, it slowly came back. A rumor passed around school that day from witnesses that I must have died, but I didn't. What saved me was a bull's neck, thanks to weight-lifting/wrestling team, as well as, my way-cool Ray-Bans that lost a lot of plastic. Nevertheless, I had a concussion and a lot of skin ground down on my left cheek, but not quite to the bone. I was known as "meat-head" for months, but only have a slight scar today. These day I am very careful to make sure my quick-release it tightened! :D

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Wow!! This stuff sounds painful!! Both elbows broken? A pirouette on your face?!?! :eek:

8. A024523

A024523 Currently in Training

Yeah, and I think the elbow story wins. Ironically, and thankfully, I have never been injured in a car accident.

9. 93Hatch

93Hatch Well-Known Member

Mine happened when I was probably 7 or 8. I grew up in north Idaho, and there were some big hills in my neighborhood (SE Virginians would call them mountains). I was riding the bike full speed down the hill on my street, and I hit a pothole. The bike came apart where the top tube and the down tube meet the stem tube. I went sprawling for sure, but what I remember most is being scared that my dad would be mad that I broke the bike. I was crying and carried the bike to the next door neighbors house and said "my dad's going to kill me!" So magically he fixed the bike (he welded it) and never told my dad. Looking back on it I figure the neighbor told my dad because there's no way he could have missed seeing the welds on the frame.

10. 93Hatch

My older brother once had a pretty fantastic wipeout too. We were racing alongside each other on a bike path, and he was catching up with me, and then drifted off the path and into a bush. He catapulted into the air, and the bike flipped completely over. But he wasn't hurt at all.

11. 93Hatch

I was biking with a friend once (I was probably 14 and he was maybe 12) and we were riding down the road around a blind left hand turn. I was on the right side and he was on the left side. I told him he better get to the other side of the road, but he didn't listen. Around the corner came a yellow VW bug, and he hit flew right into the windshield, then flew into the air beside the car! The windshield was cracked and you could see his some of his hairs stuck in it. He said that he was ok, and that he was fine to walk home. But the girl insisted that she drive him home (only about 2 blocks away). And I had to walk my bike while carrying his to the house.

12. 93Hatch

Most of my bikes when I was gowing up didn't have brakes (having been wrenched on for years by kids) and I perfected other methods for stopping. The powerslide, sticking a foot in between the front fork and tire, etc. But I was the expert at the controlled endo. I would get going (not too fast) and jam my foot on the front tire and then as I was going over the handlebars I would launch off the front tire and land on my feet. Amazing that me or my friends were never seriously hurt with all the stupid things we did on bikes! And to think this was before anyone wore a helmet.

13. gfdengine204

gfdengine204 Well-Known Member

Well, if we are making sport of this.......;)

When I was about 6, I was riding my bike, racing a neighbor-kid. I looked over my left shoulder to see where Sam was, and when I turned my head back front, well.....there suddenly was the GIANT yellow side of a Ryder truck, parked on the side of the street. No time to do anything bt hit it. My mom and dad were sitting on the porch, and saw this happen. I don't remember getting home, I was told I walked, and my dad went to got my bike.

I come to, and open my eyes, and I can't see. Blinded. Now scared outta my mind. I pass back out. Of course, no one took me to the hospital. Nah, just rub some dirt on it, you'll be ok.....LOL

I wake up later, open my eyes, and the first thing I see is Walter Jacobsen, a reported on CBS Channel 2 in Chicago. (Yes, this was a LONG time ago). I suffered no ill effects as far as I can tell. Though my wife might disagree. :D

14. mtbiker278

mtbiker278 Biotech Researcher

I've done the over the handlebars "superman" manuver a number of times for a variety of reasons. Logs, tree roots, wild-life, other people, bad drops, etc.

However my most spectuacular wreck was going over a steep gravel pile while my dad was following me not to far behind. I might have been about 15 at the time. Needless to say my dad saw me lift off the gravel pile gain about 5-6ft of air. Unfortunately my back wheel decided to rise upon take-off dropping the front wheel into a nose-dive. At the speed I was going there was no "rolling" over the handlebars. This time I simply landed in a heap, bike and all. The ground was covered in grael which made the landing less than ideal. I pretty much need a gauze pad that was about 1ft square. I was black and blue for about 3 weeks. Definitely bruised some ribs, sprained a wrist, huge scrape, and a "taco'd" front wheel.

Moral of the story: Teenagers don't believe in Darwin...

15. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

I was carrying a jacket on my commute home around 15 years ago and dropped it in my front wheel of my road racing bike at 20 mph. Went over the bars and drilled into the road! snapped my right clavacle, thats it, good thing I had my helmet on! no damage to the bike at all! was able to walk home.

16. donee

donee Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Well, I have not been biking lately. But from my foggy memory, when I was in High School, I was riding my bike home from Football practice. It was getting dark, as this was later in the fall, and practice had gone longer than usual. There is was a hill, I coasted down, and usually go onto the street, then around another corner. This day though, the gas staton at the bottom of the hill was closed (yea I know the 1970's were a different world), so I thought I would just coast through their lot into the neighboring lot and cut the S curve I needed to make. Welp, I forgot the gas station had a 9 inch tall square cross-section curb between their lot and the neighboring one. I hit it about 15 mph. Not being prepared for this at all, I just went flying over the handle bars. Luckilly I had enough presence of mind to tuck and roll. The front tire of the bike was still inflated, but had about a 3 inch dent in it. I was able to push that out to a 1 inch dent, and ride the 5 more miles home, slowly and sorely. If this would happen to me today, I would be in the hospital for 2 weeks.

17. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

These are some great stories, all. :) I dislike bumping old threads but I just have to share...

While I didn't get anything more than a scraped knee on a bicycle as a child I didn't ride for more than 20 years afterwards. I decided to pick it back up last May (2008) and I have had some doozies since then.

1) My first time actually on a mountain bike trail, the Thomas Creek Trail in Reno, NV. My legs turned to mush after the first big hill climb so I rested and then my friend and I came back down. To get back to the parking area once has to cross a slack, foot-wide, 10-feet long and 3 feet high wooden bridge over the creek. I was none too stable overall and didn't line up well and my front wheel went off the side of the bridge when I was 2/3 the way across it at about 10 MPH. The tire planted in the mud and I went over the bars, hitting my left chest on the stem and bruising 2 ribs in the process. This was soon after the ribs I broke snowboarding in February had healed so I was none too happy about it, and they hurt for 3 weeks!

2) Last September it was time for my first "epic" mountain bike trail (and therefore a great opportunity for my first spectacular wreck) so my buddy and I decided to hit the "Hole in the Ground" trail near Castle and Andesite Peaks and Sand Ridge, just above Boreal and Soda Springs, California. It was by far the longest and most technical trail I'd done to that point. In one section of mixed dirt and rock garden that was surrounded by rocks on both sides I was in the lead and we were doing about 20 MPH on a slight downhill. As the trail crested a small hump a bush grew out of the rocks from the right, forcing me to the left side. I did not know enough at the time to read the trail properly and so the washed out area on my left did not clue me that I should be braking hard and turning right. I came off that hump and went airborne, aimed squarely at the rock field that had been to my left, watching the trail float away to my right. There was nothing I could do. I landed with the front wheel heavy on a rock and I heard that sickening sound that spokes make when they flex and reverberate, and I was pitched right over the bars as my back tire bounced, too. I flew a few feet and landed on the rocks, banging an elbow and getting all kinds pf scrapes in the process. My helmet bounced my head off of something just as my shoulder wedged on a different rock. Just then the 35-pound bicycle landed on me, creating a jagged line of greasy scrapes up my left thigh as the chain went along my leg and over my butt. I was more shaken up than hurt though I was indeed banged up. Just to add insult to injury, about 2 miles down the trail, with another 5.5 miles still to go, I braced myself off of the wall in a small and loose rock canyon, but my right pinky got stuck in a crevice and as my momentum carried me forward it broke. The remaining ride out was simply not fun. :(

3) Here's my most stupid one to date. My wife and I were scoping out a place for me to host a bike ride on the path along the Truckee River in Reno for the Big Brothers Big Sisters. We eventually found a great area but the planned ending park was not labeled. I saw a fellow sitting at a picnic table there and thought to ride over to ask him about it. I was on my mountain bike as my wife was on the road bike so I boldly thought that the exposed railroad tracks in my way would be no issue. I popped my front tire over the first track but then my back wheel hung up on it as I didn't have enough speed. I quickly pumped a half rotation on the pedals but all this did was pull my rear tire out to the left. In desperation I pumped another half turn but there was nowhere for the tire to go so the torque simply went into the frame and I drove myself right into the ground between the tracks, still clipped in. I was pretzeled enough to have to use my hands to unclip the first foot while my wife laughed at me, the fellow on the bench stared and another couple rode by asking if I needed help. :eek:

18. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

Only one good story for me.

8 or 9 years old. Richards Gebaur AFB Missouri. Just a kid's bike.

There was a curb at the edge of a driveway that sloped nicely into a ramp. We would often start at the top of the hill and hit this thing and see what we could see.

My best shot at it was my last one. I was a little scared after seeing the backyard of the 2 story house!!

The bike and I seperated at the top, the bike landed in front of me, I hit the ground rolling and managed to "hop" myself over the bike while still rolling. Nothing hurt or anything, but I sure did learn to think before I did anything like that again.

19. Maxx

Maxx He who posts articles

Ok, all I can say is that this story is true. Unbelievable, but true.

I was about 18, riding a GT Timberline mountain bike. Used to bike ALL the time back then. I was cruising around town and was dipping down this little grassy hill behind a law office. The grass was dewwy as it was late at night, so I grabbed the rear brake to let the tail slide out a little. I overcorrected the handlebars coming out of the slide and the front wheel went all 90 degrees on me. Of course I went over the bars. Of course my feet stayed in the toe clips. But here's the rub: I ducked into the spill and instead of face planting in the dewwy grass, I rolled, with the bike, and popped my left foot out of the toe clip in time to pop it back up one the wheels and CONTINUED RIDING. Never stopped. Of course no one else was there to back up this ridiculous story, but I swear that it's true. I summersaulted a bicycle...

Years later, living on the third floor of a New Britain walk up, some little punk stole that bike from that back hallway. My bad for not locking it up, but come on! I have since replaced it with an aluminum frame Cannondale that I bought from a tag sale for $5 (broken rear derailer, rusty chain).

20. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Hit from behind by a Chevy Yukon while riding in Wilmington, NC. I was on my 18 speed doing my weekend 40 mile to and from Rocky Mount to Wilmington bike trip. I was 26 or 27 and in much better shape prior to that day.

Lady in the Yukon was doing 40mph according to witnesses when she hit me with the trucks passenger side windshield pillar in the left elbow and back of the head. She said that she hit me instead of the car beside her because there was a baby in that car. I suspect she was unaware of me as she admitted to being on a cell phone during the accident.

I went to a chiropractor for over a year, I would get vertigo every time I looked down even slightly for the first two months, I still have pain if I do certain activities 13 years later and I haven't rode a bicycle since that day.