What just happened?

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by killer6795, Aug 11, 2008.

1. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

I need the Mazda guys and gals to help me out a bit (or anyone else for that matter);

Last Friday I drove to work like every other day and I had a half of a tank of gas left when I turned the car off in the parking lot. It was 6:00 am and around 55° outside. The car sat all day and when I left the air temp was about 80° and it was sunny. When I started the car the gas gauge read 2/3 of a tank. I somehow had more gas in my tank according to my gas gauge. I assumed my gauge was failing but I filled up today with a third of a tank left and somehow I achieved 51.23 mpg - far above the norm. I made sure the tank was completely filled using the same gas pump I always use.

I normally get around 42 mpg with my 2007 Mazda3 Touring 5sp using moderate hypermiling techniques. Besides someone secretly putting gas in my tank during work hours, how is this possible? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I work with a bunch of engineers and they have no good theories at all.

2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

were you parked on a hill? Those can throw your readings off.

3. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

JusBringIt,

That's a good thought, but I was parked on the same (slight) downhill grade I always park on so I can coast out of the parking lot.

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

there is this story I heard before:

There was this guy who bough a little car and kept bragging to his friends at work about it, how great the car is and he would just talk it up. Day after day he would would just talk about his car and how good it is.

His co workers decided to play a little trick on him, the started to pour gas in his car when he's at work and he would just talk up the car even more. How much the gas mileage improved and how it's the best car. and they did this for a couple weeks.

After that they started siphoning gas out of the car every day until he wasnt so excited about his great car anymore...
    Not saying it's you or making it up, ( it's a story I actually heard). This is the closest I can come up with tho.

As for it being the same hill, are you always facing the same direction on the downgrade?

5. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

JusBringIt,

This was actually my first thought, especially if you knew the crew I work with. Your idea may be the case, but I do have a locking gas cap and I'm pretty sure nobody knows where I hide my keys.

I'll quiz the guys to see if anyone knows anything - I know when they're lying to me!

6. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

Do you have the itouring or hatch w/ 2.3?

7. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

I have the i-Touring with a 5 speed manual.

To answer an earlier question by JusBringIt, I park on the same hill facing downward every day. It's a slight incline, nothing too substantial, just enough of an incline to get me rolling a bit (maybe 20ft before I start the car).

8. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

If you really got 52 mpg, thats amazing! My personal best was this last tank @ 43!

9. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Ya built in gas gauges….
    My gauge does that kind of stuff to me also.

In my Mazda Tribute I swear the thing jumps back just before I hit ½ tank.
    I will be watching it as it’s nearing ½ tank then glance back down at it will be back close to the ¾ mark for a bit. It then moves a faster pace to last ¼ tank.

In my Vibe it must do some tank level averaging or something. After parked for a bit the needle show about 1/16th more gas then when I parked. Or if I drive up or down LONG hills the gauge will do the same, adjust it’s self about 1/16th.

10. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

How's this for a delayed reaction to a post....

@ JusBringIt

You were spot on - my coworkers pulled a fast one on me by putting splashes of gas in my tank every once and a while. They never followed though by removing gas however so at least I got some free gas out of the deal. I have to hand it to them, there were at least 4 people involved in the prank and they didn't reveal themselves until I moved two states away.

Now I'll be able to get accurate measurements again as I'm now much more careful of where I hide my car keys.

11. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

HAHA! That's a good one. At least you finally found out what they did.

12. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Wow! to think it actually happened! I barely remember posting on this thread it was so long ago.

13. killer6795

killer6795 MazdaMiser

Yeah, this whole thing happened so long ago, I barely remember it either. Only when the guys confessed did it spark my memory on this thread. You see, now that I moved away it'll make it harder for me to retaliate. I said hard, not impossible......

14. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

lol. I'd like to know what you could come up with to counter that.

15. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Grille block all their trucks?