Krousdb, are you ready to re-electrify EMAXX ;-)

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by xcel, Feb 28, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dan:

___You know those Valance Technology - Sapphires in the EDrive’s? Well, look at the prices now ;)

50 pcs Li-Ion 18650 Cylindral 3.6V 2000mAh Cell

___A 10 kWH cap including tabs for just $2,564.50!

___I am in the process of writing up a PHEV Article and this adds frosting to the cake … Because of my 16+ hour days until Friday, I will be barely visible for the next few days but I cannot wait to talk about this in depth with you and Wayne Brown if we can get him over here?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Would you like me to invite Wayne Brown Here? He would be able to speculate about Li-ion much better than I could.

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dan:

___Not yet but when I am ready to install another 50 kWh worth of pack in the wife’s new Camry Hybrid ;)

___I just thought you would like to see the costs of those Li-Ion’s. Talk about falling through the floor! I wonder if Valance felt a little comp from all the A123 announcements over the last 2 to 3 months? A123 is now sourcing those nano-tech based Li-Ion monsters for OEM HEV testing as we speak! How can Toyota and Honda expect the consumer to pay upwards of $3 - $4K retail for a 1 - 1.5 kWh NiMH pack when they could source the more capable Li-Ion’s for far cheaper? Cheaper then the price they are sourcing the NiMH’s from Panasonic and Sanyo in fact! Something is not adding up??? I thought I had read Toyota has their NiMH pack costs down to < $1K. This does not include the Inverter/converters, controllers, CVT, SW/HW/Firmware, and MGSet’s of course. That same size cap in advanced Li-Ion’s from a major US advanced battery manufacturer for ~ ¼ the price (retail) makes for interesting speculation in my book! The pack sensors aren’t free either but Valance is moving into the 12V battery business with some spectacular stats including real time monitoring by the end user and extremely advanced auto-maintenance functions to rival the best the Hybrid pack controllers are performing. I am thinking about doing a review on the 12V Valance Li-Ion’s they are in the beginning stages of marketing myself?

___Lastly, doing research on PHEV’s this week has brought an interesting name to the forefront. Ummm … someone who discovered SoC spoofing in the Prius II? I don’t want to name names but Dan K is his initials ;) I read a lot on Andy Frank of US Davis and CalCar’s via EPRI to NREL to CARB to CalCar’s themselves … There is quite a lot of interesting reading on this subject if I do say so myself.

___Good Luck

___Wayne