WOT while climbing hills from a dead stop in an HCH2

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by HyChi, Jul 14, 2006.

1. HyChi

HyChi Well-Known Member

I've noticed some discussions regarding the use of WOT and whether it can be helpful or not to achieve maximum overall mpg. I have a number of instances where I'll be stopped at a red light before having to accelerate up a long, steep hill. Sometimes the hill will climb for up to a mile. I've noticed that even when I apply a steady pressure on the gas pedal that when the hill takes a stronger ascent that the engine rpms suddenly increase from 1900 to over 3000. It's as if the engine senses the sudden increase in grade and adjusts to compensate. I've been consciously trying to counteract this and keep the rpms down by releasing pressure from the gas pedal. However, there are times when I'm being pressured from behind and will allow the car to accelerate more rapidly up the hill instead of creeping along (in a manual, you guys would refer to it as "lugging"). If I'm at a higher speed and maintain at least 45mph the ifcd seems to be more stable at a higher number. What are your thoughts/experiences with this? Any thoughts Tarabell? Since the car seems to automatically "downshift", do you all think it is designed this way to be more efficient?:confused:

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

WOT is a candidate to be linked. What does that mean? :eek:

3. Hot Georgia

Hot Georgia Well-Known Member

I assume the HCH1 behaves the same as your HCH2 regarding this.

Back in 2004 I did some experiments with that. I picked a length of non-traveled, level, straight highway a couple miles long and did some acceleration experiments regarding WOT, easier and slooooooooooooow acceleration.
    The very slow acceleration more than doubled the MPG for the same load, distance and conditions.

We have some really tall hills as well and if left alone I'll ride the FCD above 40 to keep the CVT from downshifting. I'm surely slowing down but avoids battery use and dipping into the 30MPG's.

A 3 mile long, tall steep hill also comes to mind on a 65MPH freeway zone where I can't drop to low speeds for safety. The top of the hill levels out for a mile, then up a 2nd steep hill.
    I roll across the basin at 60MPG, approach the base of the hill at 44MPG the as soon as I hit the meat of the hill take it down to exactly 40 and surf the edge of Assist, just barely keeping it on.
    It eventually slows down to, and maintains around 53MPH which is not unreasonable for Right lane traffic.

A year or so ago I took the exit 1/2 way up and found a much better way from there.
    More FAS's but leads to a 4-minute, non-timable red light. :mad:
    Oh well I just wait.

4. AZBrandon

AZBrandon Guest

Wide Open Throttle.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Steve:

___Couldn’t have said it better myself ;)

___Chuck, you added WOT to the glossary early this morning, didn’t you? Or was that Tom?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,

Dealing with a tall hill from a red light at the bottom is about the worst scenario I can think of....except for maybe idling with the a/c on. Yes the tach seems to compensate for grade even with steady pressure. So you let off the gas to force shift to a higher gear, slow down and then you feel some lugging, right? But you're saying if you maintain good speed and even let the car downshift as it likes on a steeper grade, the iFCD also stays up higher? That's pretty interesting! I have to say that type of hill is something I (thankfully) don't normally run into, but if this is something you have to deal with on a regular basis, it may be worth watching. ;) Let us know more...

7. HyChi

HyChi Well-Known Member

Thanks, folks, for the input. I'll keep a close eye on the iFCD using various techniques with this 1.5 mile 300ft hill. The iFCD goes down to 15mpg during the 3000 rpm accel up the steepest part of the hill, but once I get up to 45mph I let up on the pedal to force the rpms back to 1900. Fortunately, around this time the grade becomes less steep so I can then get the mpg back up to 40 until the grade becomes steeper for the last 1/2 mile. I spend the next 4 miles or so just trying to recoup the losses from this.
    On the bright side, I've been taking an alternate route that helps me to avoid a similar 300ft hill 7 miles later that puts me on rolling countryside. The new route has helped me cut my losses on the return trip home. Where I used to lose up to 2 mpg I'm able to maintain most of the gains I achieve while driving to the office. I started the day at 50mpg 685ft and finished at 53.3 (from 54 at the halfway point 137ft). :)