Porsche 911 hypermiling

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by baezventures, Jun 19, 2008.

1. baezventures

baezventures New Member

I have my 2000 Carrera at an average of about 27mpg right now. When I get my ScanGauge today, I hope to see that number go up.

2. kmactavi

kmactavi Well-Known Member

Welcome Baesventures, You're already getting some great numbers out of your car, and I'm sure the SG will help. Check out the Beating the EPA article at the bottom of my signature if you haven't already, it will help you out a lot. Make sure you start a mileage log here, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in how far you can push the car!

Kirk

3. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

you are going to have so much fun - playing the torque curve and coasting forever in P&G

4. theprophet

theprophet Active Member

you know it's getting bad when you have people driving 911's (not a ghey boxster) doing the hypermiling thing :(

heres to getting your numbers up

5. mobiuz3

mobiuz3 Well-Known Member

No comment to 'the prophet' on boxsters, but driving my Boxster S, I've gone from 20ish to 26ish on about a 40/60 hiway/city split.

Best of luck...

p.s. hypermiling can be a bit addicting, which makes downshifting and hearing our flat-6's rev-out that much better (when needed of course :) )

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  6. theprophet

theprophet Active Member

haha it's cool man, i was fishing with that comment...it's mosly the drivers i've had issues with on other boards

7. 97PROTEGE

97PROTEGE Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I'd like to drive your cars!

8. Flat engines do tend to sound pretty good!

I love my flat 4

9. baezventures

baezventures New Member

Guys,
    did a run from Houston to Austin yesterday using SC and I recorded on 160 mile trip
    37.4mpg at 59mph on cruise, no air, with driver window down and sunroof open. Amazing what the computers do these days and my variable valve timing shuts down the fuel spend while I loaf along in 6th gear. Love it.

10. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

great !

keep us posted !

11. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

From 27 to 37mpg? Nice!

I wonder about the sunroof, though. It might be hurting your aerodynamics. Does it tilt and slide back? Try taping a couple strands of yarn to the back window. If they still flow straight back / down with it open, you're good. If they flutter around in other directions, it's hurting your mileage.