Chrysler’s Hybrid pricing released

Discussion in 'Chrysler' started by xcel, Jun 18, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

The rolling anachronism continues in its present direction… Right off the end of a cliff.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_Chrysler_Aspen_Hybrid.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - June 18, 2008

Chrysler Aspen Hybrid – Official FE data as yet to be released but expect a 20/19 mpg City/Highway EPA rating.

Auburn Hills, Mi. - Chrysler released final pricing for the Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen 4x4 hybrid electric SUV’s at $45,340 and $45,570 respectively.

“The new 2009 Chrysler Aspen Hybrid and Dodge Durango Hybrid deliver fuel economy up to 20 miles per gallon—a 40 percent improvement in the city and 25 percent overall—best-in-class cargo room, and are priced nearly $8,000 below the competition,” said Deborah Meyer, Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer – Chrysler LLC.

The 2009 Chrysler Aspen and Dodge Durango Hybrid are coupled with Chrysler’s powerful but inefficient 5.7-liter V-8 engine. Total output, when combined with the advanced two-mode hybrid system, is 385 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque. In hybrid form, the HEMI continues to employ Chrysler’s fuel-saving MDS technology, which allows the engine to alternate between four and eight cylinder operation depending on power requirements at a given moment. The GM designed two-mode system provides assistance from two electric motors, allowing the V8 to remain in four-cylinder mode more often than without the hybrid powertrain, improving overall fuel economy.

Overview

• Chrysler and Dodge SUVs boast 40 percent fuel economy improvement in city
    • 25 percent overall fuel economy improvement
    • Customers to save hundreds of gallons of gas per year
    • Full-size SUVs deliver rare blend of fuel economy, utility, capability and performance
    • Customers eligible to receive an estimated tax credit of $1,800
    Our take? Given the tripling of fuel costs over the past few years and collapse of the SUV market as a whole, Chrysler missed the mark by a mile. Expect to see these hybrids discounted a few months after intial release just as all other SUV’s are being discounted to move them off dealerships lots.

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Why would I buy this, when I can get an Odyssey for $10,000 less. It has much more space and uses less gas. What are you paying for, then?

( I picked the most expensive minivan, too. Others are even cheaper)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  3. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

Nardelli's stock options - maybe he'll get canned for outrageous underperformance fired but still collect another $200 million farewell gift from his Shareholders like he did w/ Home Depot.

He can't run a company - but he's a very smart guy

4. xmr

xmr learning more every day

45 grand and all they can wring out of it is 20 mpg. That is absurd. I have always liked chrysler vehicles but they sure blew it here. I agree that the honda odyssey would be a better and less expensive choice.

5. kmactavi

kmactavi Well-Known Member

You're paying for 200 hp overkill. :D

Kirk

6. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example for why the auto industry should be nationalized.

1. What they are making is not only not in the national interest but it is the prime factor responsible for our crumbling economy, political instability, our plunging dollar and multiple wars that are becoming more numerous (Iran is "stage left") even as we speak.

2. Auto industry management knows what is happening and has put their profit (their mistaken concept of profit) over the stability of America. They simply do not give a damn.

3. If we do nothing I cannot see any other direction than depression and more war.

4. Our president has just opened up our remaining oil fields to be sucked up in 5 or ten years by our gluttonous addiction to oil. The price of oil will go down and it will be business as usual for a while. Then we will be REALLY out of business.

The problem I see is that our government is as inept and corrupt as the auto/oil cartel. But Barack says he will change all this. He says he will tax the oil industry's "windfall profits" and use the money to research and develop higher MPG alternatives for the country. Sounds GOOD!

But, then again Barack has not yet received his first combined installment payment from the API (American Petroleum Institute) and the big .0003 of one 53' high cube truck trailer containing 25 skids of $100.00 bills. Once he receives that, his tune might be more in line with Bob K. Lutz!

7. PaleMelanesian

Robert, I seem to remember something about the Tahoe hybrid selling only 300 units in the first few months. It's a similar kind of overpriced, low mpg hybrid suv. Looks to me like the marketplace works just fine. If it doesn't make sense, like either of these, people won't buy it.

8. Himmitch

Himmitch Well-Known Member

Please tell me that you are kidding, PLEASE!

9. msantos

msantos Eco Accelerometrist

We can see hints of this thread becoming political very quickly. Let's pull back and stay on topic, shall we? ;)

Cheers;

MSantos

10. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

Part of the problem - not part of the solution:(

11. Himmitch

Himmitch Well-Known Member

With $4.00+ gas are people going to buy SUV's that cost $45,340 and $45,570?

12. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Why shouldn't we be happy we have at least hybrid SUV's?

Some people will need a second truck. A large boat doesn't go well behind a Yaris. If this SUV is just used as a tow or haul truck, then spending 45,000 on an American made hybrid SUV both benefits the environment and the American economy :flag:

I'm sure someone will retort that they shouldn't even have a boat to begin with or should just rent a truck or buy a used beater but if someone's willing to spend the cash then all the better it spent on a new truck!

13. Jaral

Jaral Well-Known Member

@GreenTTEC: I disagree. Every time someone buys a rediculous vehicle like this, it sends the message to the automakers that we still want them. Ecnomical work vehicles ARE available, and better ones can be produced if the automakers get the idea that we want them. That $45k is a drop in the bucket for the automakers, and most of that probably goes to pay for parts that were made overseas anyway. 20mpg is embarassing for any hybrid, and I do hope that the market will appropriately punish the production of this stupid SUV.

My point is, if you have the cash, spend it on an EFFICIENT vehicle - that pushes the market in the right direction and will have more benefit overall to the American economy than spending twice as much to subsidize stupid management decisions.

14. antrey

antrey Well-Known Member

Surely this was an attempt at a highly sarcastic reply, right?

Anyhow, I'll say the same thing I did about the Tahoe/Yukon joke...big deal, 40% improvement over cr@p fuel economy still equals cr@p fuel economy.:rolleyes:

15. Robert Lastick

It doesnt seem to be working to fine to me. What high MPG vehicles can we pick from? We need them now.:confused::confused:

16. Robert Lastick

I don't like the idea any more than you do but what other alternative do we have?? We need high MPG cars NOW. Do you actually think the big 3 will come to our rescue?:confused:

17. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

He's totally serious.:confused:

Once nationalized, they will force us to buy the junk that some congressional committee designs, and increase tariffs to compete.:eek:

18. PaleMelanesian

How about next year, when Honda and Toyota release their new products? That's pretty close to now, in the corporate sense of the word.

19. GreenVTEC

Name an "efficient" work truck that can haul 6000 lbs in tow? As far as I've seen most trucks/SUV's with that kind of capacity all run under 20 mpg.

You can't change the fact people own boats or other large objects. Should people simply give up boats or trailers untill the automotive companies come out with 30-40 mpg trucks?

People are going to buy large trucks regardless of gas prices, especially those who have the wealth. Better they spend money on a NEW truck instead of giving up the boat because at least that money can be put forward into new designs.

20. GreenVTEC

Not crap fuel economy compared to a regular Tahoe or any other given V8 truck.

This reminds me of the comments I get about outdoor sports like kayaking. No, I don't NEED to go sometimes hundreds of miles just to find a rural river or a nice spot for a several day journy. But I'm stilll going to do it. Just because gas is rising in price is no reason for me to give up my pleasures just to make a point.