3 Month Economy Run June 1--August 30, 2008

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by lamebums, May 31, 2008.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

This fuel economy run is complete.
    Writeup is here.

[​IMG]
    Member's Economy Run II
    June 1 - August 30, 2008

Background and History

The CleanMPG Member's Economy Run was conceived between lamebums and Daox back in February of 2008, whereupon we'd take our cars and push the mileage to the max over a three month period, originally conceived as the "God of Small Toyotas" Economy Run. It quickly expanded to include large numbers of CleanMPG members into what we know today.

Following the success of the first Economy Run I'd like to open a thread for another one. This one tentatively begins on June 1, with people being allowed to sign up for at least a week.

PaleMelanesian is our defending champion with a previous run of 197% of the new EPA. :flag:

How to Join

Anyone who's interested in participating in the June to August economy run, all you have to do is post in this thread letting me know you're going to be in, and then create a mileage log. This mileage log is an alter-ego of your car which you'll update on each fill up just like you would your normal logs. That way we have a quick and easy way to see % over EPA over the three months.

To avoid needing a 2008 or newer handicap we all use the new EPA estimates for fuel economy.

Hybrid vehicles get a 25% bonus due to many non-hybrids being rated for FE while not considering Fas and other techniques (in effect, a hybrid without the autostop).

The winner of the "A" division will receive a $20 gas card from CleanMPG. The winner of the "B" division will receive a $10 gas card.

"A" or "B" Division?

This was created to help divide people into two levels, in order to increase competitiveness.

"A" division includes anyone with a 2007 or older car whose Lmpg is greater than 130% of the EPA.
    If you have a 2008 car, then if you have greater than 150% of the EPA.

If you have a 2007 or older hybrid, then if you have 105% or greater of the EPA.
    If you have a 2008 or newer hybrid, then 125% of the EPA or greater.

Anyone under these numbers I'd recommend in the "B" division to keep both more competitive although it's no requirement.

The base level is 130% or greater. I compensate for the new EPA ratings on 2008 and newer vehicles as well as a 25% hybrid handicap which will be worked into the results.

For example: The LimeyBrit would be in the B division since his Lmpg is under 130%.
    However, laurieaw would be in the A division because her Lmpg is greater than 105%. (hybrid car will give her an extra 25% in standings, though.)

SlowHands, with TorqueNada would be in the A division since his Lmpg is ~140%, over 130.
    However, run2w8s would be in the B division since his Lmpg is 139% on a new car (remember you need 150% with a 2008 car because of the new, lower EPA estimates.

Official Standings
    Last updated July 13

Division A

Division B

The competition officially begins June 1, although I'll give everyone until June 8 to sign up, since we reasonably can't expect everyone interested to sign on every single day and see the thread in < 24 hours...

View the writeup here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15528

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Padawan

Sign me up. And count me among those who are interested in a "B" division.

3. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Padawan

Also, I could use some help in setting up a 3-month mileage log.

4. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

I'm in for the "B" division if there is one.

5. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Sign me up.

6. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

i'll give it a try.......explain please how to set up the alternate log.

7. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Count me in.

When is the right time to delete the previous challenge vehicle? I think that you have pasted images for the results, but my heads not real clear today.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  8. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

i just did some thinking (scary thought, i know).....with my only driving 30 miles a day lately, i may only have 5 fills the entire 3 months:)

9. run2w8s

run2w8s Active Member

Count me in on the Jun-Aug contest

10. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I'm in as well.

11. Jaral

Jaral Well-Known Member

Ill give it a shot. :) Im a complete newb and I dont really stand a chance (car seems to be having mechanical problems), but I love a challenge. Oh wait.. my car is black.. no A/C.. second thoughts.... ouch. Yea, Ill still give it a try, but the heat is gonna suck.

12. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I'll give it another shot. I won't be filling up for another couple of weeks. At the rate I'm going now, I have another 500-600 miles to go before I'll need gas.

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'd jump in with the Elantra but I'm still working on the tank from my January fill. It could be another 2 months before I finish it! :eek:

14. Pgh_G6

Pgh_G6 New Member

I just registered with cleanmpg today. I am guessing I would be in the B class with a 2006 Pontiac G6(I get 19MPG/City, 30HWY.)

I will be working on driving less & trying any driving technique to increase MPG.
    A learn experience for me and I hope I can get some good advice.

Sign me up!:)

How do I get those boxes with my gas mileage showing, into my posts?

15. lamebums

lamebums Member

It seems theres a lot of support for "A" and "B" divisions.

Here's how I'd like to divide the people.

"A" division includes anyone with a 2007 or older car whose 6 month running average is greater than 130% of the EPA.
    If you have a 2008 car, then if you have greater than 150% of the EPA.

If you have a 2007 or older hybrid, then if you have 105% or greater of the EPA.
    If you have a 2008 or newer hybrid, then 125% of the EPA or greater.

Anyone under these numbers I'd recommend in the "B" division to keep both more competitive.

The base level is 130% or greater. I compensate for the new EPA ratings on 2008 and newer vehicles as well as a 25% hybrid handicap which will be worked into the results.

For example: The LimeyBrit would be in the B division since his Lmpg is under 130%.
    However, laurieaw would be in the A division because her Lmpg is greater than 105%. (hybrid car will give her an extra 25% in standings, though.)

SlowHands, with TorqueNada would be in the A division since his Lmpg is ~140%, over 130.
    However, run2w8s would be in the B division since his Lmpg is 139% on a new car (remember you need 150% with a 2008 car because of the new, lower EPA estimates

Not entirely sure if that makes sense, but I tried. LOL.

This is my best attempt to divide the membership roughly down the middle, making both lists more competitive. I guess we could have a prize for both divisions?

Does this sound like a good idea? Of course you aren't required to go by these lines, it'd just be a recommendation.

All you have to do is go to the mileage logs and create a new vehicle, which is a carbon copy of your own, into which you'll also log your miles in there as well. That way we have a clean-cut three month running average of the mileage. Make sure it's identifiable though, and then add it to your signature (example - "my 4th honda, 3 month run" or something like that.)

When I get a chance I'll then add it to the top of the thread where we'll add everybody's logs and see how we all stack up over time. :)

Not quite yet. Wayne, would it be possible to make the mileage data as part of a gallery instead so we could delete the old logs but still keep the records?

What you do is go to Mileage Logs, create a new vehicle, and then add a tank (when you filled up with gas) to it. It'll bring you to a graph, and below that will be a small box showing your gas mileage. Copy its location into your sig using the [​IMG]

16. lamebums

lamebums Member

Preliminary--please let me know if you'd like this changed

"A" Division--in order that everyone signed up

atlaw4u (Lmpg of 138%, hybrid)
    laurieaw (Lmpg of 112%, hybrid)
    SlowHands (Lmpg of 140%)
    Ophbalance (Lmpg of 132%)
    Jaral (Lmpg of 137%)
    diamondlarry (Lmpg of 130%, hybrid)
    Right Lane Cruiser--you're welcome to use the Insight! (If so, 132%, hybrid)
    HemiSync
    PaleMelanesian
    --cc--

"B" Division

lamebums (Lmpg of 127%)
    TheLimeyBrit (Lmpg of 114%)
    warthog1984 (Lmpg of 115%)
    run2w8s (Lmpg of 138%, 2008 car though)
    Pgh_G6 (waiting on mileage logs)

Does this sound good or should I change the lines a bit? I'm thinking to increase the 130 to like, 135, so the divisions are roughly equal in number of people.

When you make a long, add an (A) or a (B) to the end of the vehicle name to indicate which division you'd like to be in. Don't use the exact same name as someone else as that will cause a technical nightmare.

Remember to use the NEW EPA estimates for all mileage log entries for this challenge!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  17. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Okay, Auston. I'm in. ;)

18. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I'm fine being in the A group. Not that I have much of a chance, but what the heck.

19. Maflagulator

Maflagulator Member

I'm in as well...I got the car on 3/13/2008, and have an avg of 34.44lmpg from then up until 5/21/2008

This puts me at 129.9% if I calculated it properly, so DIVISION B I suppose?

20. lamebums

lamebums Member

Since you're so close you can go either--I just made it as a general guideline to keep both levels competitive.

Just make a mileage log for the three months and add it to your signature or PM me the link so I can add it to the list.

~Wayne: I'd love to work in a small prize of sorts at the end, like a gas card or something. Nothing really huge, just like, $20 and 10 going towards the winner of each level and perhaps it should say "CleanMPG Economy Run Champion" on it or something.

Now I'm getting out there. What about a trophy? :D