Anyone else hypermiling a Mazda 6?

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Red6, May 30, 2008.

1. Red6

Red6 Member

I have an 05 Mazda 6 Sport with MTX and 3.0 liter engine. Anyone else hypermiling a 6? I am getting 28 to 30 MPG with a combined city and rural driving. Curious on what I can achieve.

2. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. You may want to start with this article if you haven't already read through it.

I'm sure some members with Mazda experience will chime in. Also, make sure your tires are aired up to the maximum pressure indicated on the tire’s sidewall.

3. basslover911

basslover911 Member

4. basslover911

basslover911 Member

I got 31 mpg with 60/40 City/Highway.

And on my way here to Fort Worth (5/95 City/Highway) I got 36.4 MPG :D

Anyway I am shooting for at least 45 mpg highway and I know its doable with new LRR Tires (when these OEM go out), a warmer WAI, and a couple of other things, I also do not have a scangauge right now and I know that will help A LOT.

5. Red6

Red6 Member

My MPG has been improving as I learn how to hypermile. I live in Chicagoland and see huge dips in milage during the winter months when it is cold.

2005 - 22.5 mpg yr ave
    2006 - 24.8 mpg yr ave
    2007 - 26.1 mpg yr ave
    2008 - 27.8 mgp yr ave

My best tank was 32.1 mpg highway trip at 60 mph. My last 4 tanks have been between 30 and 31 mpg city driving. I have the 3.0 liter and manual TX. I coast in neutral about half my way to work. (10 of 20 miles) and try to DWB. Traffic is too heavy to do many of the advanced techniques.

I P&G when possible, but that is not too often. Too many crazys trying to push me race to the next red light. If you pulse up they stick you my bumper like glue then get PO'd when I glide back down to the speed limit. P&G does work well with my M6.

I have the OEM tires aired up to the max sidewall. My city commute MPG is now as good as the highway MPG.

6. bic590

bic590 Active Member

I used to have a 1993 Mazda 626 with a V6 and 5M. One time on vacation I took country roads for the entire 250 mile trip and ended up with about 33 mpg. That was only using cruise control at 45 mph. That car was really good on gas if I didn't run up the rpm's.

7. Recently purchased an 04 Mazda6 wagon....yesterday actually, so I'm just starting to figure out what I can do with it. Its the "s" trim level so its got the manually shiftable automatic, which already seems like it may be a useful hypermiling tool. I can determine my shift points and keep the rpms low which is nice. I've pumped the tires up to max sidewall and next oil change will be the thinnest I can get away with. I have a 70 mile commute every day (95% hwy) and most of the time I drive 55 so hopefully I'll be posting some good numbers soon.

8. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

For a highway drive, at 55 mph, that should be a GREAT car! Congratulations!

9. And its a freakin sweet ride to boot! I've never owned a car this nice on the inside, so hopefully i won't be disappointed with what i can do with it mileage wise.

10. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Except in winter, I can consistently get the Ody into the mid 30's mpg on the highway. That's with a 3.5 V6 and a bigger vehicle behind it. Play it right and you might even see 40 at times.

11. that's pretty much what I was hoping. I've hypermiled an 04 oddy into the low 30's before so that was my logic here as well. The M6 has really low epa estimates though. Mazdas are more known for the zoom zoom than frugality it seems. We'll see how things play out. Had to drive into a seriously stiff headwind today ~40mph gusts, so that's not a great way to kick things off....hopefully I can have that as a tailwind when i head back. At any rate its better than the falling apart, just barely functional car that it replaced, even if the overall mpg is lower.

12. Red6

Red6 Member

Update on my hypermiling results.

The 1st column below is milage for the entitre year. Second column is the % of the EPA rating for the M6. 2010 will get better as full tanks are added during the summer months.

This year I've saved ~76 gallons of fuel over EPA milage numbers or $226 at $2.95 per gallon. My Scan Gauge paid for itself 2 years ago. So far this summers tanks are a bit better than last year. Have new tires (Goodyear Eagle GT) at sidewall max 45 psi. Working on P&G this summer for better numbers. Have seen multiple trips (at least 10miles) at 34 MPG for the first time.

Saw a 500 mile tank for the first time. Scan Gauge said I had another 70 miles before empty but I'm not taking a chance running out of gas to find out.

Yearly MPG % of EPA
    Lifetime 26.8 134%

2005 22.0 110% Not hypermiling yet!
    2006 24.8 124%
    2007 26.1 131%
    2008 27.8 139%
    2009 28.9 145%
    2010 28.6 143% so far in 2010

Best Tank 32.0 Highway only, at 60 mph
    Worst Tank 21.9 Sub zero temps for most of the tank