Metro both Chevy and Geo

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Metro-1999, May 22, 2008.

1. Metro-1999

Metro-1999 New Member

My own personal solution for this crude oil farce and global enviroment issue is the purchase and daily operation of an ancient 1999 Chevy Metro which I bought for $3000 4 years ago. THREE THOUSAND dollars.

What was once looked upon as a rollerskate, a shoe-mobile, a joke in TV commercials, is now practical. Practical so long as the cell phone SUV drivers pay attention while driving.

I bought this car as a downsize replacement of a Honda Ciciv. Next downsize move might be a SMART car - except that vehicle introduced into the USA has no real advantage over my old Metro, MPG is the same if not LESS than my 3 cylinder 1 liter engine. I paid $3,000 for this car which is a daily driver many years ago - can I find a SMART for that price?

Locating older model vehicles that achieved high MPG figures and either cleaning them up or rebuilding them is the inexpensive way to save on the fuel bill. The better the shape of the older car, the less repairs and costs involved in starting it up, and driving it past gas station after gas station.

I get between 40-50 mpg with this little hatchback. Everyday mileage, on the cheap grade gas. I drive it up on the interstates right next to tractor trailers and SUVS; and yes those drivers tend to abuse the little car with their driving styles; all part of the total package of ownership.

ALso had a VW Diesel Rabbit, a Diesel Isuzu I-Mark; both getting over 45 mpg. These are 1980-1982 year cars. The technology has been around for a long time - but NOT the demand. If you have the cash - buy a newer model high MPG car. Save your money for the repair costs for car payments anf full coverage insurance.

Since mine is paid off in full, my insurance to register and plate it here in FLorida is called a PIP/PDL policy. I pay about $15/month insurance for the car. 50 cents a day. Money saved for gas. The car has been maintained well, new tires and CV axles this past weekend, and the engine has 90,000 miles on it. It will be due for a clutch plate shortly.

Right now , at this moment, I can take that little old car and drive it around FLorida without a care or worry about finding fuel and breaking down; and get up to 50mpg on the highyway driving at moderate sane speeds - (read that as being passed by everything on the road like I was sitting still, including loaded semi trucks).

While my degree is in computer science, and I only studied mechancial engineering back in 1985 for a short period - the solution on how to obtain PRIVATE transportation inexpensively is obvious based on a few key factors:

1: low weight..thin sheet metal gauge or very small compact size. (under 1 ton)
    2: small engine displacement - under 1500cc max.
    3: low RPM operational band. The Hondas pull good from 3000rpm, but my Metro is
    both cammed and geared for low speed pulling. More RPM = more combustion
    events per second - more fuel used. Shift low.
    4: Do not idle more than necessary.
    5: High profile 80 series tall/.skinny tires - less rolling resistance.
    6: Aerodynamic design - keep all the extra fiberglass flaring and crud off the car,
    it only adds weight and costs $$. Wax the body - it helps the air flow over the car.
    7: Obvious: buy cheap gas at the cheapest location. Do not drive 50 miles out of the
    way to save on a penny a gallon; savings are negated.
    8: Drive only when you HAVE to drive. Consolidate trips as much as possible.

Find a cheap used car, or have a mechanic or friend find one in good shape. Fix it, maintain it, and use it as a daily driver to make money at work. Do you NEED 5000 pounds of machine to drive 25 miles to work? Think of how to save on your insurance policy premiums as well - those are called fixed operational costs. Driving and buying fuel are variable costs.

Do we all REALLY need new model cars being churned out by the automakers every year?
    Why support this industry? The car payments are mainly interest to the bank, and the insurance coverages being demanded by banks are more than required because you are driving THEIR car until its paid in full.

This is not super highway mileage driving - but its common right off the street MPG found from cheap older model readily available used cars. Easy savings.

2. Zukiru

Zukiru 0.29 coefficient of drag

sometimes you need a car you don't have to worry about at all.

if you make an 80s car that reliable it will cost you some money. (especially if you can't do the work yourself)

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Metro-1999:

___Welcome to CleanMPG! I remember seeing 2000 – 2002 Echo’s under $5K around Christmas IIRC and you know the reliability of those things are bulletproof too!

___For a better take, have you read the What if you cannot afford a “new” fuel efficient automobile? yet?

___Next thing to do is get your Metro into the 60’s with just a few minor tweaks in habits ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. lamebums

lamebums Member

I concur with the bulletproof reliability but you should check the KBB classifieds again. An Echo in good shape with low miles has nearly doubled in value. :eek:

I didn't know cars were a good investment. I thought they all depreciated like SOB's :D

5. shiroboi

shiroboi Well-Known Member

Not to knock the Metro but safety and reliability are important to some people. I could get a cheap motorcycle and ride to work but with a kid on the way, Its more important that daddy come home. Still, i'm sure people that got metros got their money's worth out of them.

6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Just 2 months ago a 125,000 mile 2002 Echo- 2 door , MT went begging for over a month at $3000. Everything worked, it just took a long time to sell. Most folks can't drive a MT, and most want a 4 door. There are plenty of bargains out there.

A Metro - especially the early Geo ones - aren't so easy to get parts for. Yeah, you can find them on Ebay, but sometimes you just want to get a part right away. Older cars from manufacturers that are "dead" are really just for DIY types. The Chevy branded ones are a different story.

A Chevy Metro 1998 - went begging for a month at $2400 not long ago. It had 150,000 miles and a dead AC.

You can find lots of bargains- CL maybe - if you are patient and look. Dead AC vehicles are great deals in hot climates in the summer. There is usually a way around paying $1200 for an AC repair - cold vest, fan, seat bag with ice -something.This is strictly for the really committed who want cheap trans, cheap fuel costs , and will accept some significant discomfort for it.

The penalty for small old cars is reliability and safety. There just isn't any way around that. Buy low miles and great condition, but you pay extra for that, so you might as well buy a 2000 or so more modern car- Corolla,Civic,Echo etc with higher miles but better safety and reliability.

Charlie

7. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

As fuel prices rise so have prices for Geo Metros and other similar fuel saving economy cars. I have seen prices for Honda Insights recently double over prices asked just one year ago. A Geo Metro which may have sold for $3500 last year recently sold on Ebay for over $7,000 and the buyer was glad to pay it.

8. gat_76

gat_76 New Member

I am the proud owner of a 93 metro as of 2 weeks ago.
    I bought it for a work car for $850, and im glad i did.
    It gets better milage than my motorcycle!
    I have already saved more than $40 in gas.

i like the little bugger, it is kinda easy driving. zips around ok.

BTW, this weekend i stayed in town and drove a total of 33 miles. when i filled up, the tank would only hold .64 gal.
    49 MPG! city.