What PSI are your tires? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by lamebums, May 11, 2008.

?

How many PSI are your tires?

1. Under 35

24 vote(s)
    7.6%
  2. 35 to 39

46 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. 40 to 44

115 vote(s)
    36.3%
  4. 45 to 49

38 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. 50 to 54

56 vote(s)
    17.7%
  6. 55 to 59

11 vote(s)
    3.5%
  7. 60 to 64

13 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. 65 to 69

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. 70 to 74

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  10. 75 or higher

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. lamebums

lamebums Member

Just thought I'd see how everybody would look on a poll graph.

Me - 52 PSI. Afraid to go higher because of possible detonation should I hit a pothole on I-275.

2. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

45 for me (sidewall max 44). Only reason 45 instead of 44 is 'cause its easier to see on air pressure gauge...:cool:

edited to say: does anyone actually believe their air pressure gauge is accurate? Most folks buy at auto store and buy based on price? So how accurate can one be? within 5%, maybe

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  3. Kevin108

Kevin108 Well-Known Member

I'm running 40, stepped up from the manufacturer-recommended 30. Max sidewall is 44. I'm using a $50 SnapOn with a built-in gauge. I feel pretty confident in its accuracy.

4. HAFNHAF

HAFNHAF Well-Known Member

running 50 psi. tires are rated at 51. one night i hit the edge of some road construction (the top few inches of road was stripped away for a new topcoat) at about 40 mph. i estimate about a 3" vertical, sharp-edged rise. d@mn near broke my neck on the roof of the car. the tires are fine. that was two years ago. love my sumitomos!

5. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

I go with 50psi or a little higher so I don't have to check so often. Max sidewall is 44psi on the stock Eco-Plus LRR tires. I can tell by the feel of coasting when a tire is a little low, so I keep one of those Professional PowerStation PS5000 Jump Start/Air Pumps from Costco with me all the time. This way I don't have plug a little air compressor into the 12v lighter plug. It has a 110V outlet, 2- 12V outlets and a light built in. The one I bought at Sams Club, the air compressor burned up too fast.

Now that I see how the tread wear has drastically been reduced with the higher pressure, I'll never go below 6psi above Max sidewall. Handling, MPG, and wear are three good reasons for higher tire pressure. Wish I had increased the pressure from the time they were new!

GaryG

6. Wizard

Wizard New Member

34 psi and looks like I'm the only one who keeps it under 35.

7. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I'm in the 75+ category. It seems there is 1 other crazy person out there too.:p

8. Kevin108

Kevin108 Well-Known Member

Presumably ride quality suffers, but do the tires show any significant additional wear in the center?

9. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

They appear to be wearing very evenly. I have just over 18K on them.

10. golfnutt

golfnutt New Member

40 PSI sidewall max. is 55 psi on my Golf TDI.

11. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

thanks for setting up the poll

12. mintsk8er

mintsk8er Well-Known Member

KUMHO tires 36psi sidewall.

Running them at 40-42psi

13. I'm running 60psi Will be 75+ when i get a pump that can do it.

14. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

44ish. Cheap pencil gauge on this end ;)

Would love to try higher but northern winters make roads pretty hole ridden. Not as much of a problem around home, but crossing the border for the commute leads to some pretty rough roads. I bet those Connecticut yokels keep the roads in front of Geno's house nice and smooth! Musta forgotten about I-95.

15. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

35 which is sidewall max.

16. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

44psi sidewall. recently bumped up to 54psi. Have to bump down to <50psi when visiting the folks as the roads on the way are so rough, the noise reaches hazardous levels at 54psi.

17. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Since I'm absolutely positively completely and totally snow free in Houston....

I'm at 70. If "Day after tomorrow" hits and blankets Houston roads with snow, I'll lower to door jam pressure.

18. lamebums

lamebums Member

Come on up to Kentucky. Mine can go up to 100psi. :D

(I use a cheap pencil gauge. I'm going to get a better one soon.)

19. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

60 psi, tires rated 44. I use a heavy-duty pencil-type gauge (for trucks) that reads up to 100psi. It matches other gauges when I've compared them.

20. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

52.0 PSI recently (44 PSI max). I actually dropped the tires to 52.0 PSI all the way around since I didn't have time to adjust the tires. I'll get them up a few more PSI soon. I've got a digital gauge that I bought at one of the big box stores a couple years ago. It reads in 0.5 PSI increments.